New Healthcare Bill & vaccines??

I'm hearing very conflicting reports and I'm looking for some facts. I am reading articles claiming that the new healthcare bill requires fines for those who are not insured and that you are required to be 100% up to date on your vaccines before you can be insured. But then I'm reading that the new bill only a lots more money for vaccine research and that it does not require vaccines to be mandatory... So which is it?

Do we move or stay here? I will NOT vaccinate my children and frankly if that means we pay fines, I will get a second job to cover them - or we will move to a country with out such a communistic view of healthcare, either way, I need to know the truth and can't seem to find any real answers, just hot air.

**Please note, I don't care if you agree with my views on vaccines or not. I'm just looking for facts about the bill - not a fight!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Do we move or stay here? In answer to that question I'd have to say you should stay here if your kids aren't vaccinated!! A lot of the things we vax against run rampant in other countries, and if your kids aren't protected then their change of having a serious illnesses goes up exponentially. Have you ever seen what polio or small pox does to a child?? So I would ssay stay hear and deal!!

Anonymous

• http://www.whitehouse.gov/Issues/health-Care

Answer by older at 12:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Here is the first bill signed into law HR 3590. Click on Official bill text to the right of the screen on the link.

Here is the reconciliation bill HR 4872 that was also signed into law on the 30th.  It may have more information in it that you may be looking for. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I haven't done the research yet, so I'm not sure. I'd say don't panic just yet. However, you bring up a very good point. What does happen regarding vaccines? I vaccinated my children, for the most part. However, there are some I will not allow my children to get, Gardasil, in particular, is one I will not allow.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I read the part on vaccines and it doesn't say you have to be updated on your vaccines to get healthcare. In fact it says little which is the bad part because what it does say leaves it open to all kinds of interpretations and changes whenever they feel like it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• That's that "preventative care" you were all so gung ho about a few weeks ago.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I vaccinated my children, for the most part. However, there are some I will not allow my children to get, Gardasil, in particular, is one I will not allow.
    ________________________
    I agree there. I support the parents' rights to choose. I, personally, think they should get the major ones that have been around for a long, long time such as MMR, but I also think it's every parent's right. I hope they do not force us into all those vaccines. It's not fair. And, even though they've pretty much disproved the connection between vaccines & autism, if I had one child with autism, I might be skeptical about getting other children vaccinated in their younger years, because there is still some question about it making children with autism even worse. Anyway, my point is that it shouldn't be the government's choice, it should remain the parent's choice.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2010