My 9 month old has had diarrhea for 6 days...

What can I do aside from bringing him to the doctor? There's no fever, no nothing...just diarrhea...what can I give him to make sure he's okay...and why would he have it this long??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breastmilk or formula and high fiber foods(carrots,squash,sweet potatoes,oatmeal)
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• he needs a doctor to check him out, babies dehydrate so fast and he may have the rotovirus which can just be that one symptom. the BRAT diet works, bananas, rice(cereal) applesause and toast. if he is already goign that much you dont want any more fiber to make him go more, you need to bunk it up.but I really hope you call the doc, this can become dangerous quickly and my doc wants to be told after 3 days of diarreha. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• fiber actually absorbs excess water in the bowel so its good for you.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Get your nose out of the computer and be a good mother and take your child to a pediatrician. WTH is wrong with you?
    ladiesnight

Answer by ladiesnight at 12:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Oh, so now I'm a bad mom?
    Thanks.
    Anonymous

• My son had that but was about 18 months old and it was rotavirus. It lasts about 7 days or so if thats what it is. I would call the dr tho only because he may be dehydrated. My son got badly dehydrated on the 6th day and we had to take him to the ER because of it. Once they filled him back up w/ fluids he was much better the 7th day.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You still might want to call your doctor. He needs to stay hydrated. Make sure that he is still having wet diapers, keep his bottom dry, drink plenty of fluids, and give him things like oatmeal, dry cereal, etc.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My daughter had diarrea right about 2 years and I was told to keep her well hydrated (by her doctor), we ended up using that pedialyte miked with her usual juice so she would drink it. Encouraged her to drink a lot. At a week and a half it went away no issue. As long as the mouth isn't dry, the diapers are still wet a few times a day, and his gums are a nice pink color you know he isn't dehydrated. I have heard the bananas, oatmeal, crackers help as others have mentioned. If it doesn't clear up by the end of the weekend or he is showing signs of dehydration then take him in. I am with you no other signs of illness no reason to be alarm just yet. We waited a week before we took her in too, since she was getting dehydrated.

I hope he is feeling better soon. 

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Don't worry you're not a bad mom! Just make sure that you keep giving him lots of fluids. Take him to the doctor as soon as you can, just to make sure there's nothing seriously wrong. Maybe your doctor can give you some ideas about how to control it!
    Don't listen to that woman who told you that you're a bad mom, he'll be fine. We are supposed to be helping not jugding! Good Luck!!!
    I hope he feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• ditto on the doctor
    Anonymous