Need breastfeeding advice

Ok here is the deal, I am having a baby in June and also have a 2 and 3 year old at home with me. I have nursed all my babies and plan to do so with this one, but unlike the others I totally need to have this baby on schedualed feedings. I heard to feed every 3 hours in the beginning, is that during the night also. How long do I nurse the baby on 1 side before I switch? How do I make it so I can pump a little extra milk so I have a reserve incase of emergency? You would think with this being my 5th kid I would have all this down by now but with the others I let them nurse at will and spent a large portion of my time attached to a baby, and advice is welcome!

momof5tobe

Asked by momof5tobe at 12:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hmm..this might help. 

Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You're going to get a lot of flack for this...just a warning...

If you're scheduling feedings, yes you should schedule them at certain intervals around the clock, so overnight, too. It's best to let baby decide when to switch breasts, that way you know they're getting enough hind milk, and some babies only take one side at a time; so wait and see how that one goes. Generally, though, it's about 10-15 mins on the first side, and 5-10 on the second, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

For a freezer stash, the easiest thing for me to do was pump one side while nursing the other; it stimulates let-down better and you get more out that way, especially first thing in the morning (and you can still nurse baby on the second side that you pumped from if they're not done after the first side, it doesn't short the baby at all).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• The problem with scheduling feeding is that it interrupts the "supply and demand" of breastfeeding and it is likely that you will end up with a low milk supply. If you can manage to feed "on demand" for at least the first 6 weeks MINIMUM, preferably the first 3 months, then you will have a much better chance of maintaining a full supply. Most babies need to breastfeed a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours to get enough and maintain supply. If I were scheduling, I would not go more than 2 hours during the day and maybe allow one 4 hour stretch during the night.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Be warned. Scheduling can lead to failure to thrive and supply problems. If you choose to go on a scehdule, every two hours around the clock without fail, and count those dipes. If you're not changing 6-8 a day then toss that schedule out the window, because you're then running risks of dehydration and that's far worse than having a messed up schedule.

Most nursing moms find a sling to be invaluable to allow them freedom to deal with their older children. You might consider that.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:15 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I work with moms who choose to schedule, but I'll be honest. Those first 2 weeks are impossible to schedule. After that, it is possible, if you listen to your baby. I don't feel that it is ideal, but there are situations where I think it can work. Some moms use a 2.5 hour schedule with newborns especially, and DO expect to need to feed at night. They don't schedule night feeding, but they always wake the baby at a certain time, even if they go back to sleep. The mom I am thinking of in particular who scheduled, and still has a nursing 2 year old (so obviously, the scheduling was working) woke her baby at 5 for a morning nursing, and then put him back to bed. He would sleep till 7. She'd stay up, doing whatever it is moms with 8 kids do! This meant that she got a longer stretch of sleep, and still prioritized feeding her baby.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• DragonRiderMD. Most newborns nurse for at least 45 minutes. You're advising her to nurse for 15!!!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me?

Listen OP. Get a sling. That way you can nurse your baby the 16 - 17 hours per day that a newborn NEEDS TO NURSE SO THEY DO NOT GET FAILURE TO THRIVE!!! and you can go about your business! Get a wrap or sling. It will save your sanity. No schedules til at the bare minimum 3 months old. Seriously. You could seriously harm your newborn by putting them on an every 3 hour or 2 hour schedule. If they need to eat, they need to eat. If you cannot do this, formula feed. Because I would rather you formula feed than give your baby failure to thrive. That's it. Either get a sling / wrap and learn to nurse in it or formula feed. No schedules with breast feeding newborns. It doesn't work.
    Anonymous

• whiterose, not every mom has a well established supply at 2 weeks. Contrary, many newborns are starting to cluster-feed at 2 weeks. That mother had an -excellent- supply from the get-go, likely because she'd nursed 7 babies. Someone else might not be so lucky and scheduling like that (every 3 hours) can cause FTT. Even after 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• And, by the way OP.. If you put your newborn on a schedule with -formula- and they get into a growth spurt they could eat every hour or two, too, and get FTT if you don't do it. And some are not good at eating out of bottles and take long periods of time to eat out of them, too. Some also react poorly to formula and puke it all up and are hungry constantly or their tummy hurts so they eat (or scream if you don't let them) to make it feel better. So even if you did use formula it very well may end up that you'd not be able to schedule them til they were at least 6 - 8 weeks old, either.

Haha. You're just going to have to get a sling or wrap =p
    Anonymous

• I agree anon. Scheduling isn't the best thing for babies, but if a mom is going to do it anyway, then she needs to AT LEAST not schedule the first 2 weeks. If she was asking about scheduling or not, I'd totally say not.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• When my baby was having problems, I was instructed to feed him every three hours around the clock and to make sure he nursed for at least a certain amount (I forget how long) on each side at every feeding but to start with the opposite breast each time....It worked great and it actually INCREASED my supply rather than decreasing it. If I had fed that baby "on demand" he never would have eaten as all he wanted to do was sleep! This was advice from a lactation consultant, by the way.... I don't see any harm in scheduling right from the beginning if you need to. It certainly worked fine for me and my baby. I am stumped about how you will fit in breastfeeding AND pumping....I never could manage that one!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010