Supplimenting with Formula

I need ideas/tips on how to add 1 bottle of formula to my DS (bf only baby) diet. I was told yesterday that I need to feed him with a bottle cause I need to measure his feedings. I have been pumping like crazy but am barely keeping up with his needs. I was thinking of adding just 1 formula bottle each day so I can stay with his breastmilk needs. What is a good formula and how do I introduce it to him?? How many oz at first? best time of day? This breaks my heart I cant breastfeed right now so please no bashing, I am doing all I can to make sure he still gets moms milk.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can I ask why you are pumping instead of having him nnurse right from the boob? That makes a difference.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't know much about FF but there is a group called breastfeeders and formula feeders unite..I'd post your question there.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• he was just diagnosed with laryngomalacia, for the last week he has been having problems breathing/eating. I have overactive letdown causing him to choke and stop breathing. The dr also wants him to only have 2oz per feeding and I have no idea how to gauge thAt when breastfeeding. My plan for now is to pump and bottle feed but after pumping let him nurse for a little bit. I am just havng a hard time keeping up with his milk needs and I am pumping almost every 2 hours.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Our pediatrician recommended a formula and told us to give 4 oz directly after breastfeeding. It didn't matter after which feeding. If the baby drinks the formula after breastfeeding, then it means you're unable to produce enough milk to meet the babies needs. That's what happened to me (and my mom and grandma) so our children were fed both breastmilk and formula during their first year. It does break your heart at first but that goes away.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think Similac is the best. I think the first month, my baby would drink 2 ounces everytime he was hungry and I would give him breastmilk whenever I had it.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• have you talked to a lactation consultant? Not to sound rude, but most doctors are morons when it comes to breastfeeding
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Staci, I've been following your problems over on the Breastfeeding Moms group. In YOUR case, I do agree with your doc.

What formula? Whatever one baby will take. They're much of a muchness nutritionally, no one having a real advantage over the others. The differences are subjective...that is...TASTE. See what baby will take. Just an ounce or two at a time. Get samples from the doc or the hospital in order to see what baby will take. Use the plan you've been given.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Give the baby the formula at night. It helps them sleep a little longer. I bf for a while, then had to start supplimenting with formula. RestFull by Emfamil helps keep them full longer. I'd def do it at bedtime.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• All formula is the same. Try mixing it with bm, and then it'll be less different for him. It seems like this is temporary, too, so I'll add a word about overactive letdown. Some moms find it helpful to pump some first, to go ahead and stimulate the let down, and then start breastfeeding. Others find their babies will nurse better if the mom is on her back and the baby is laying on top. It looks awkward, but has been helpful.

I also would check with a lactation consultant, too. But that's a given for any nursing problem!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I would think that bottle would be much more difficult for a child that is having trouble swallowing than breast feeding would be.

I 2ND the go see a specialist and involve an LC in the process.

Have you tried just using methods to help with the OAL? Lay down to nurse. It sounds counter-intuitive but it will help. Also, try pumping off a little of the let-down, wait for the stream to slow, and then latch the baby on. He will definitely still get enough to eat & will stop the OAL from irritating his condition.The flow will be slower than any bottle ever could, plus in the natural position and the skin to skin contact will help with moderating his breathing.

You don't need to measure it, the 2 oz at a time thing is because if he spits up it will likely lead to him inhaling the liquid and likely causing pneumonia. This is 10x more likely with formula (spitting up), so I would seriously consider getting a 2nd opinion ASAP
    Anonymous