just found out that I'm pregnant, so I called my Obstetrics/gynecology

The assistant scheduled me a month from now to do ultra sound and that's it. Does that sound right? They didn't tell me what I should eat or any info of what should I do during the mean time. Is that normal that they schedule an appt a month from now? I asked her why so far she said the baby might not show. This is my first pregnancy so I did a lot of research online, but it would be good to have some advice from them.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The first visit normally has a vaginal sonogram and is done between 6 and 8 weeks. Start taking prenatals you need folic acid. Don't take aspin..in fact just call your ob's office before taking any medication. If there are food allergies in your/DH family, avoid those foods. No sushi, no soft cheese unless its pasturized.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I know that with my OB she never takes me until I'm at least 8 weeks into the pregnancy. If you have questions, give them a call back. If they are like my doctors office, the nurses are really friendly and very helpful and will answer what they can over the phone for me.
    Like pp said, go buy some prenatal vitamins from the drugstore,if your taking any meds, call your doc and see if you should continue or stop. And for pain, headaches and such only take tylenol.
    You can also buy a book...what to expect when expecting is good. That is helpful to read during pregnancy, answers a ton of questions and helps to pass the time! Congradulations!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• There is nothing for them to do at this point. Eat well, take vitamins.

I recommend the Brewer Diet.

I think it is a good thing that they are not even attempting a sonogram at this point. Embryonic development varies wildly under 12 weeks and I know MANY women that have been needlessly worried because little or nothing had shown up on an early sonogram.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Congratulations!! When I was pregnant with my 3rd the doctors office wanted to schedule the 1st appt for when I was 8-10wks along. I guess that is 'standard procedure' for them to wait until later in the 1st trimester. (Although I did demand an appointment sooner as I had lost a baby prior to that pregnancy). I agree with Farrahann start taking prenatal vitamins (you can find them on the shelf in most stores) and do not take any medications unless you get it ok'd by your doctor. As for foods- I would avoid rare beef, undercooked or unpasturized food items. You may want to google search and see if there are specific foods to avoid during pregnancy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• my ob schedules first appts right around 8 weeks, so its been a month since i found out, both times.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 1:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• ...and stay away from cat litter.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i always think it's weird when the schedule an ultrasound so early. what's the point of that?

it's normal not to have a first appointment until like 10-15 weeks though.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, that's the norm. They can see the baby at 5 weeks, but barely. I got one at 6 weeks because I was having sharp pains (everything was ok, though), but normally they won't see you until you are a few months along. Don't worry. Its just that there is nothing they can really do for you, and its too hard to see the baby, and the heartbeat doesn't really show up until 10-12 weeks. Id call and ask for a script for prenatals though.
    MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

MandiDueAug09

Answer by MandiDueAug09 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all the good advices. I've been taking folic acid and multi vitamin few months now, so hopefully I'll have a healthy baby :). I'm having a hard time cutting coffee and tea and feels bloated all the time.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 6:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2010