Facebook Question!

Hi everyone!

Lately, I have been getting rather "odd" invitations on my FB and was wondering if anyone has experienced getting friend requests from people who are complete (I mean complete) strangers. They're not friends from school, work or friends of friends; and I don't (unlike most) belong to a lot of groups and don't play any of the Facebook games.
This is bugging the heck out of me! I'm aware there is an ignore feature, however, I was wondering if this is a common thing on these social networks.

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• no I ONLY add people i know in one way or another..and i dont accept people i dont know..thats what myspace is for!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 12:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I have gotten three such requests in the past week. I simply click on the "Do not know this person" link and forget about it.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 12:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Are they friend suggestions? One of my husband's college buddies sends him friend suggestions all the time and 9 times out of 10 he has no clue who those people are.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I have had that happen, where there are no friends in common, no shared games, no connection at all that I can find. I don't add them. Honestly, I figure they are creditors spying online.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't , but my hubby does every once in a while. I have my security setting on pretty much everything "friends only". Maybe check your privacy settings. IDK, but maybe that's why I never get the friend requests like my hubby does.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Yeah, I get them sometimes. When you get the friend request, are there any mutual friends between the two of you? I don't add them if I don't know them. There is a block feature in the privacy settings as well. You can block whoever you want from even being able to find you when they do a name search. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have your photos, wall and info private, they can't see anything. Just ignore them and mark them as you don't know them.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 1:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• its very common, but don't add someone you don't know, sometimes they're webcam girls or viruses, even if they have pics, also if you get a friend request from a friend claiming they set up a second account, be wary, especially if the pics the same, I had some guy try to friend me by stealing my husband's picture and setting up an account with it, just to harass me b/c i joined a group supporting gay marriage...
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 4:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you "all" for your replies back!

I might add that I too (like most of you had mentioned) have my controls set on "friends only", and the one in which I cannot be found if looked up on the internet is set on private. These are not friend requests either. What's strange with all these people is that if I try to look them up on FB, they cannot be found, however, they appear to have friends added to their page. I honestly think this is a way to hack into accounts!

Again, thanks!

Debbie

I wonder if FB would be able to verify any of these names!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2010