Gums bleeding?

The one part of my gum above my tooth bleeds randomly or if it gets bumped and its kind of bothering me. It started probably a day or 2 ago and I kept rinsing it thinking I just hit it or something.

I dont have dental insurance but I do see a dental clinic that has been doing work for me. I was just seen a month ago for some fillings. Not sure if I should call today (if they are even open) or just wait til Monday since its a Holiday weekend. I don't think its severe enough that I should go to the ER.

Should I be worried? Any ideas on what it could be or anything I could do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Health

• gingivitis..get yourself some act restoring mouth wash and use it twice a day plus brushing your teeth gently until you can get to the dentist
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It could be periondontitis, or gingivities, I have had problems with my gums since I was 15 years old. You should go see a gum specialist, periodontitis can cause your gums to bleed, it involves a pocket between the gum line and the tooth, making food go in there and cause havoc! The disease also eats away at the bone that attaches your tooth to the gums. I have been going to a specialist for over45 years, I get my teeth cleaned every three months as safety measure. Have it checked out just to be sure!

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you. I have been having the worst dental problems since I got pregnant with our son and I didn't have dental insurance and the dental clinic just opened in October so I have been seen at least once a month to get everything done. Sucks big time. But what can ya do?

Thanks again :)
    Anonymous

• start flossing daily
    fresh strawberries will soothe your gums
    get to a dentist

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I've been a dental hygienist for 22 years. I agree with some of the advice you have gotten and disagree with some of it too. Bleeding gums is gingivitis - periodontitis does not cause the gums to bleed. Food does not get trapped in pockets between the tooth and gums - bacteria and tartar gets trapped there. Act restoring mouthwash won't do much - ACt is for cavity prevention. Strawberries contain acids which can cause tooth decay.
    You need to floss once a day and brush at least twice a day. You also need your teeth cleaned professionally - we remove the plaque, tartar and bacteria that your toothbrush cannot reach. When you do not have your teeth clean twice a year it can lead to periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:25 PM on Apr. 3, 2010