how old were your kids before you let them ride bike a couple blocks away from the house alone

laura0107

Asked by laura0107 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Think of how old kids have been when taken away from their parents by perverts by just going around the block.
    Remember that little girl that whent to her frinds house only to be molested by her best friends Mother!!!
    A van can drive near them open the door and jank the child in a heart beat and you wouln't even have the chance to react to go back into yourhouse to get a paper & pin to qrite the lices plate number. They ride a couple of feet from me!
    Anonymous

• Also would you leave a Diamon or you wedding ring sitting there on the side walk? NO!!!
    I KNOW IT IS HARD BUT WE CAN'T TAKE THE CHANCE ON OUR KIDS BE TAKEN AWAY TO HELL ON EARTH!
    Anonymous

• My kids were riding their bikes to school by the time they were 7 or 8. The round trip is over a mile from my house in a residential neighborhood.

Your child is far more likely to get plowed down by a car or hit by lightening than to be abducted by strangers. Those that live in fear and never let their children out of their sights are in for a rude awakening when their children become teenagers and rebel.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• its a slow fade. I let my son ride when he was about 12 then now at 15 has gone as far away as 1 hr alway on his bike without me knowing with some friends. I thought he was at the park down the st. for a few hrs. its better to be safer than sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• OMG- Anons! You have to let a child go at some point, whether it is to cross the street to a bff's house or to ride to the park 3 blocks away. You will not be able to be with your child every second of his or her life. Example: my grandma always told me, as child, there were rapists that hid in the basements of apartment buildings like mine - even as an adult I couldn't walk through my mom's basement without running in abject fear or being escorted.

My older kids are 10 &12 and I have let them ride to school for about a year. It isn't very far. I worry far more about them crossing the street than abductions. One time DD did fall enough to require first aid, and luckily she did it right in front of the police station.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:41 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My daughters are 10 & 12 and I let them ride on our block which is pretty long and the connecting block where some of their friends live. It was just last year when I started letting them do this. Often I will give them one of our 2-way radios and make them carry it so I can check in on them or let them know when they need to come home and that works out really well for us.
    Anonymous

• 9 years old.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:18 PM on Apr. 5, 2010