Speaking of Tasering, Court Rules OK to Taze Pregnant Woman. Thoughts?

Seven-months-pregnant Malaika Brooks suffered repeated 50,000 volt shocks for refusing to sign a speeding ticket, and a federal court of appeals ruled it justified.

Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 1:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• FULL STORY HERE  It's a LONG story...

I don't care what the situation is. You cannot make me believe that a woman who is 7 months pregnant is so unruly that you need back up AND a taser. B.S.! Besides that, they then put her on her stomach, knowing it was hurting her! I seriously went nauseous when I read it. How f-ing vile.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She should have just complied and there NEVER would have been a problem. Just because you are pregnant, doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you feel like, and without consequences.
    Anonymous

• Um hello! You have the right to refuse to sign a ticket. All they had to do was mail it to her.
    You are allowed to challenge tickets in court.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Like the article said,the cop could have just noted her refusal to sign instead of escalating the situation to THAT! Those cop's behaviors were disgusting and ridiculous.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My thought is... if you simply follow the laws this should NEVER be an issue. If the police are forced to taser you it is YOUR fault. I have very little sympathy for the people who can not simply do what they are supposed to do ... thus avoiding the need for an officer to use force.

The police are not walking the streets just tasering people for no reason.

Anonymous

• UMMM hello??? Signing a ticket doesn't admit guilt either.
    Anonymous

• Refusal to sign a speeding ticket is NOT an arrestable offense. Sure, things would have been much easier if she had signed it, but she is not legally obligated to do so. These cops are on a power trip and were WAY out of line. And the court's decision to back them up is disturbing.
    mawd

Answer by mawd at 1:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• That situation did not warrant it. It doesn't mean other situations involving pregnant women won't.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I posted this on my FB the other day.

To anon 1:36 - did you READ the article? What an ignorant thing to say! The woman was given a ticket - which she didn't feel was due. The cops wanted her to sign it - she refused - which IS HER RIGHT in that state.

AND even if she were eligible for arrest which she shouldn't have been for refusing to sign a ticket - there was NO NEED to taser her THREE TIMES! Are you f'ing kidding me? No they may not be walking the streets tasering people at random but they sure seem to have become pussy's lately - 6mos or so ago they did it to a mouthy 70 yr old - right cause she was such a threat with her strong words! This pregnant woman was such a threat with the keys on the floorboard - she wasn't combative and without her keys in the ignition there was no chance of her fleeing as the court claimed.

That this can happen is horrific and I hope it goes to the Supreme Court.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• What is this world coming to..seriously?
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 3:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2010