No company will make investments for a public good?

Just one of Obamas statements on his sell healthcare tour.
Do you find this to be true? I certainly don't. There are oodles of companie that donate to local schools and hospitals in and around Houston. Even in my town of 35,000 every school in this town has been helped by various businesses including the mean old oil companies. Many Large companies give to charities and I consider that an investment in the public don't you?
I'll be very direct and blunt since I have found many Libs hate it when you don't spell things out. I think the man is out to tear down our country and since many people are still hanging on his every word he is using this tour to further his agenda by telling more half truths and "stories that don't add up" From my personal experience I have seen many businesses give in many ways, investing in the public.
Do Businesses in your area invest in the public?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• PBO expects that if he says it that you will deny what you know to be true and accept what he says as true. Many businesses in my area give labor, materials, money, and other resources for the community. That is the whole point of sponsorship. Look at the little league ball field. Those signs on the fences are sponsors of the teams and the field. PBO doesn't want you to make that connection that businesses have contributed forever.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Too many invest ONLY insofar as they can get their names on a building or on flyers, etc. They don't do it for the public good...they do it as cause MARKETING, with their true intent being to increase vidibility and thus sales.

Companies that donate for the public good don't send out news releases about it (and I get DOZENS of those kinds of news releases every day). They don't DEMAND that their logo be put into materials in a certain way. (I used to sell cause marketing projects...you wouldn't believe what some of the marketing folks were like.) They don't have hissy fits if a competitor is also listed as supporting the same project (I've had that happen).

It just strikes me a little too much like the hypocrites whom Christ decried for praying loudly in public.

You want to do good as a company? Just do it. Put it in the annual report or the company newsletter. But don't go looking for loads of credit.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• "I think the man is out to tear down our country and since many people are still hanging on his every word he is using this tour to further his agenda by telling more half truths and "stories that don't add up""

And you didn't need that. It's not germane to your question.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Well. I don't actually know a company that doesn't donate to charity. Why wouldn't they? They get a tax deduction, first of all, then they get bragging rights about how much and to whom they've donated. Silly Obama, you don't make sense. I work for a concessions company in a sports arena. What they do (in most major arenas) is they have "civic groups" of "volunteers" that work those registers and make simple food items. These "volunteers" then get a 10% cut of the sales from the stand in which they work. That 10% cut goes to their civic group which is most likely a fund to pay for their child's sport, dance, ice skating, college costs, etc. That is why I call them "volunteers" instead of just volunteers. The sad fact is that every civic group that I have ever seen that was a true charity folded b/c the members weren't profiting from it in some way. :( The concession company then writes off the "donations" as a tax credit.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• G- I was giving my opinion which is still allowed in the US of A. You don't have to like it.
    You are totally WRONG in your assessment as far as i am concerned. Businesses and individuals freely give to the public and most people needing or wanting whatever they are offering are more than happy to give many of these companies kudos for doing what they do. It'v views like yours that give false information that breeds hate and false ideas of Companies in our country. I don't know where you got your ideas about business but you must really have been done wrong to spew crap llike that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Example #2: When I was in high school (a private school), every year we had what they called the "bowl-a-fund," where each student was obligated to get at least a $50 donation. If you got $100 or more, you didn't have to pay for your bowling. Every year I went out in search for a "corporate sponsor" to donate $100. In turn, these businesses would get an ad in the church paper. Every year, I got one. It was so easy. The only reason I was ever turned down was if somebody else beat me to it.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• From a purely economic standpoint, he is correct, but he chose his words very carefully. No company will make an INVESTMENT in public goods (which does not mean good deeds, it means entities that are public because you cannot control who benefits from them and charge them directly, like, a street is a public good, because unless you put a toll booth at either end, you cannot prevent people who don't pay for it from driving on it). Companies will not invest in them because an investment implies a return and there is no return.

So far so good. Problem is, health care is NOT a public good, you can control payment for it, and it's been done since the beginning of time. Even in communal societies, the healer would receive items in trade in exchange for devoting their time to healing instead of helping with hunting and gathering.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you NP - I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on that. To "invest" in a public good is stupid. You are going to get no return on your investment, but MANY companies donate time and/or money. Every large company DH or I have worked for has had a volunteer program. Many of them offered employee incentives such as extra time off or compensation for the day you volunteered. Add to that the huge cash donations that many of them give and yes, they absolutely "donate" to the public.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Steph, I will concede that a blanket statement is stupid and that the President was wrong. I will also concede that I think he's been wrong more often than he has been right. But then, I've thought that of EVERY president so that probably signifies nothing.

I'm cynical about business participation in the public good because FAR too often it only comes with a quid pro quo. There ARE exceptions. I admit that. I've seen it in times of crisis.

I concede this one to you. You win.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Let me state that last a little more gracefully and less snippily. You are correct in this case, and I was incorrect.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010