Co-bedding multiples in the NICU/at home is dangerous?? Help!

Apparently there is a study I can't find that says that co-bedding multiples is terribly dangerous and increases SIDS.

All I can find are positive studies and articles, and some say it makes the jobs of hospital staffers more difficult - but the only scientific research I can find seems to indicate there is nothing but benefits to co-bedding multiples til they start disturbing each other.

The AAP says sharing a bed with siblings / other kids can increase SIDS, but that is for older children with delicate newborns.

The only negative article I found said that co-bedding in the NICU actually stabilizes heart rates and helps prevent episodes of apnea. Yet it goes on to say it doesn't seem to make a difference. Weird.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/120/6/1359

So.. um.. why did this NICU nurse go off on me telling me that co-bedding twins is dangerous?

Help me find the information if it e

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the nurses may believe that because there is round the clock monitoring, in the hospital that this makes everything safer. my twins shared a crib for one year.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• exists.
    Anonymous

• I did tons of research before my twins were born, and I only found benefits for co-sleeping twins in the first few months. There could be a study that reports different results, but for almost anything you can a study to support any position. I'm sorry I can't help you find the article you are looking for, but I think if I were you I'd talk to your babies' doctors about the nurses comments to see if they agree with her at all. GL & best wishes to you and your family.

Anonymous

• This is the only study info I could find about twins sleeping in the same bed.
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/sleep.lab/projects/twins/
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 8:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I had my twins co-sleep..it was very beneficial for them
    Rileyscute

Answer by Rileyscute at 8:30 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My twins slept together in the hospital nursery, in my hospital room, and at home for the 1st 6 months and it was great for them. Once they started moving more I was worried so I put them in seperate beds. Our dr.'s all recommended it.
    Heather881029

Answer by Heather881029 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2010