politically confused-- so what defines a republican or democrat? conservative/liberal? etc?

what views make a person a repulican? democrat? i'm kind of lost & although i know what i politically support/oppose, i don't know where i fall category-wise. if someone can please help give me a non-biased definition of each political party, i'd be very appreciative. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• liberals are socially permissive, conservatives are socially restrictive (liberals support gay marriage, conservatives oppose it, liberals oppose pro-life movement, conservatives support it). Fiscally, it's give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish. The liberal standpoint is to pay someone's way until they help themselves, the conservative view point is that we can't afford to pay everyone's way because it makes them less likely to bother helping themselves. Typically Democrats are liberal and Republicans are conservative. In reality, most people are not purely liberal or purely conservative. Most people fall somewhere in the middle on the fiscal scale, and while they may oppose abortion, they may also support gay marriage, or they might oppose gay marriage but support affirmative action. Which party you vote for really should depend on the individual candidate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• There are 2 things that make people a republican, democrat, etc. 1) belonging to the political party 2) adhering to the beliefs/values of a political label. For example my grandmother is a democrat, she belongs to the democratic party & votes the party line. I am a libertarian because that is the philosophical ideal I believe is best for politics, but I do not belong to any official party. If you want to know the beliefs of an official party you can look at their web-pages or printed materials. If you want to know the philosophies behind political labels I suggest a book on the philosophy of politics in America. If you want an easy definition: Republicans want to tell you what to do with your personal life, Democrats want to tell you what to do with your money, Libertarians don't want anyone to tell you what to do ;)

Anonymous

• Democrats are for the people, Republicans are for the money.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You just completely dumbed down this post, nightphoenix. At least the three previous posters gave the OP real answers that required thought.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• As far as this forum is concerned, people generally think Democrat = Liberal = Left-wing and Republican = Conservative = Right-wing. It's not entirely true, but if you want exact differences, you can do your own research.

Republican (conservative) vs. Democrat (liberal):
    http://www.studentnewsdaily.com/other/conservative-vs-liberal-beliefs/

Libertarian Party (neutral?):
    http://www.lp.org/introduction/what-is-the-libertarian-party

Green Party (liberal):
    http://www.ontheissues.org/Green_Party.htm

etc.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 3:56 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• what views make a person a repulican? democrat? i'm kind of lost & although i know what i politically support/oppose, i don't know where i fall category-wise. if someone can please help give me a non-biased definition of each political party, i'd be very appreciative. thanks.

Did you miss this part Night?

Anonymous

• Also, know that not everybody claims a specific party. I don't. I generally take a stance that is close to the middle (closest to the Libertarian party), but slightly more conservative. I don't think it is necessary to claim a party unless you believe in all that they believe. It is a good thing to know what you believe and actually put thought into what you believe.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 4:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Democrat - TEND to be fiscally and socially liberal.

Republican - TEND to be fiscally and socially conservative.

Libertarian - TEND to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Conservation Party - TEND to be extremely conservative both fiscally and socially.

Green Party - TEND to be extremely liberal both fiscally and socially.

Independent - TEND to be moderate both fiscally and socially.

I say, TEND on all of these because I believe no one is 100% with the party of their choice.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

rolling on floorThis is the dumbest post I have seen all day!  Either Obama switched parties or Night has Alzheimers since Obama has SPENT more MONEY in his short term than all the other presidents combined!

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010