Who is Jesus Christ?

In his famous book Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis makes this statement: "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg - or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us." Also see: http://www.worldmag.com/articles/13579

So...Who is Jesus Christ?
Lord? Liar? or Lunatic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• He is just this guy... you know? Seriously though, that statement stems from the mistake of dualistic thinking. It is better to understand Jesus as a mythological hero (see Joseph Campbell, David Leeming, and others). In the end though, Jesus is who he is to each person. Possibilities include; a savior, a prophet, a lunatic, an imaginary person, a literary character, an excuse... the list can go on and on.

Anonymous

• A man who lived a long time ago.

Answer by louise2 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I always thought this question to be quite flawed. Lord? Liar? Lunatic? Or has been misrepresented? Is he a mythological figure? Did he really say those things? Have WE made a mistake?

(by the way, I think he is the Christ)
    Anonymous

• The question, and Lewis' quote, presupposes that the writings about Jesus are accurate representations - something that it is not at all reasonable to assume.

Anonymous

• Jesus, the King of kings. He is the Lord of lords. The Messiah. The Bread of Life. The Light of the world. The One who died on the cross and rose three days later to atone my sins and the sins of the whole world. The only One with unconditional love. He is Love. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. He is mercy, grace, and the Prince of peace. He is my King, my first Love, my Savior, my Healer, my Rock, my reason to live, and my reason to die. He is coming back sooner than we realize, and I'm thankful for his love for little ol me. A lowly sinner delivered from unrighteousness and misery, and most of all from the grip of hell. Amen!
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• he is the king of every nation, he is our savior, he is weeping for all of us

Anonymous

• Amen. He is the Most High, The Alpha and the Omega. Glory to the risen King!
    WomanOfGod7

Answer by WomanOfGod7 at 4:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• He is the Son of Man!
    gbaby01

Answer by gbaby01 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Jesus Christ is this one chick on FB that plays Sorority Life.

Anonymous

• I believe him to be lord. However I will admit there is no proof of it. Who knows maybe he was mad, or maybe a liar. I do know he had good thoughts and was kind and just. That is only from what is written in the bible which I do believe if nothing else is historical. I believe in the bible, but those who don't can't say that religion parts aside a lot of the events have been proven true, most of the people in it have been proven to have existed. Who can truly say I KNOW no one alive today lived then.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010