What do I do about my dogs teeth?

We rescued a teacup yorkie about a week ago and she is assumed to be about 6 years old. They previous owners kept her locked up in a small cage for about 12 hours a day. Well we noticed that her breath is TERRIBLE and she doesn't chew her food she just swallows it. She won't let me near her mouth. We are planning a vet visit the next pay check. But till then I don't know what to do. I was able to hold her down and look at her teeth, she has about 10 teeth all together. They are yellow brown and black and about to all fall out.
I don't know what to do for her in the mean time, and i don't understand how a dog can get like this!!
Please help, any advise would be appriciated!
We WILL be taking her to the vet, most likely next week.

Mommy2justone

Asked by Mommy2justone at 3:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Some dogs are born with bad teeth, others born without enamel on their teeth, gum disease, being in the cage could have contributed to any of this. You can help her to eat a little better by feeding her canned food or soaking her food in water or whole milk and if you can, give her a couple drops of infant tylenol or put orajel on her gums until the vet can get those rotten teeth out and her mouth can heal. GL with your new babydoll, and thank you for being kind enough to rescue/adopt! Just make sure she's spayed too!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you Matobe, she is spayed we do know that.
    Thanks for the suggestion of soaking her food in water, she ate a little easier tonight.
    Mommy2justone

Answer by Mommy2justone at 7:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• There is a special food for teacup dogs for dental maintained. I don't know if she's too far into decay for it though. The food is HUGE chunks-- about half a golf ball. Most little dogs eat 2-3 pellets 2x daily. It helps them chew actively to brush their teeth.

She may need to have them pulled.

Sounds like some immune system boosting would really help her since she's had it so rough. There is a vitamin supplement called "Missing Link" that is a very tasty powder. You can mix it with wet food or sprinkle it over dry. I give my dogs kelp powder for nutrients and sesame oil for skin problems. Really helped my last rescue.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would feed her canned food or do what the first poster said and soak her food in water overnight, we do that with out pom who only has 4 teeth. My guess is that her teeth probably need to be pulled if they are that bad. If you leave them in it could cause infection or even problems with her organs. Good luck!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have two dogs that came to me with bad teeth and after getting them cleaned and pulled they still have trouble eating. Like another poster said we put warm water in their dry food and let it sit for 15-20 mins and then they can eat with no problems.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have a rescue with HORRIBLE teeth too. She went to the doggie dentist last year and they didn't even charge me for extractions, because they said her teeth basically fell out. I soak her food in hot water at every meal.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• After the vet cleans/pulls the teeth, you can try to brush her remaining teeth (if she'll let you) or you can try something like PetzLife.  I also agree with feeding her canned food or softened kibble.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Thanks everyone I will update when we get her to the vet. All of her teeth are terrible, the only ONE that wasn't terrible and about to fall out had holes and big chunks out of it.
    Mommy2justone

Answer by Mommy2justone at 4:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I am a Vet Tech and your dog probably needs a dental cleaning and some teeth pulled. Little dogs tend to have really bad teeth. They have such small mouths and hair and dog food stuck in their teeth and you not know its. Plus small breeds need to have more up keep with their teeth. Some need dental cleanings about every 6 months to every year. Take her to the vet and get a dental cleaning.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 1:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2010