Should Sex Education include both abstinence and reality?

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/mason-sex-education-should-include-both-abstinence-and-reality-1.2209681

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• kids NEED to be taught about birth control...teen pregnancy is on the rise...they need to know how to prevent it in every way
    Anonymous

• I think both should be taught. No doubt in my mind.
    Anonymous

• As someone whose going to be a sex ed teacher I know that abstinence only sex ed doesn't do much. However, I don't think that loading your daughters up with birth control is the answer. The number 1 person who influences teens on sex is their parents. Talking to your kids about your feelings and your thoughts on them having sex is so much better than handing them a condom.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 3:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think abstinence is reality. I didn't have sex until I was 19 years old, and I'm not so old now that I'm totally out of touch! I think birth control should be taught just for informational purposes. Just because we teach about military battles as part of a history class doesn't mean the kids are going to go out and blow things up - it's the same thing with sex education; just because you teach them something doesn't mean they are going to try it. But I think all kids should be taught the value of abstinence.

Answer by missanc at 7:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think that kids should be taught that abstinence is best but what can happen if and when they have sex and how to prevent pregnancy and such. I think abstinence only is a joke. That's what Sarah Palin taught Bristol and look how well that turned out.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• IDK what kind of sex ed yall had but inthe early 90s at our school we learned it all.
    Anonymous

• Kids need to be taught the facts... Teach them the "process" ... Eggs meets sperm through delivery. Teach them about the many different forms of birth control.. teach them about STDs... teach them about breastfeeding (YEA I SAID IT!)... teach them about labor/birth...
    IMO it is up to the parents to instill values on their kids. The kids have their values before they step into any sex ed room!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• They should have all the facts about sex (you will get pregnant) about BC (it is very risky to take)
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Kids are told about sex. They are told about Bc. They are told how to get condoms & how to get BC. Yet, Most kids are too embarrased to go buy condoms and arent going to ask thier parents to see a doc for BC- & arent sure how to use a free clinic. So how about we supply the condoms and take our girlsd to be on BC so when & if they do have sex they are 100% prepared. Then there would be NO excuses to unplanned pregnancy. . Its not promoting it, bc most kids are either for sex or against it.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010