Why do people feel bad for the doctors?

Seriously, with the new health care reform, people are crying about how the doctors are going to be screwed out of 20% (or so) of what they were earning. Really? I should feel bad that someone making $500,000 will only be making $400,000 in a year when I live off of less than 10% of THAT? Why should I feel bad for them? Many that go into specialty practices (I'm talking about surgeons too) even have their student loans paid off by the hospital that hires them, so the "they have major expenses" argument doesn't work for it either.

So, yeah, why are people bent out of shape about these "poor" doctors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea. It makes absolutely no sense. Especially when they run un-needed tests just to rack up your bill.
    They make plenty of money, more than most of us will ever see in our lifetime.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:34 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Most PCP's and family doctors do not make even close to that. They have private practices in which they are solely responsible for paying for staff and all building and overhead expenses. With medicaid and medicare patients, they rarely get even half of what they normally charge for an office visit. That is why many of them are saying no to more medicaid and medicare patients and saying that they will just close their doors if they are going to be forced to take on more.

Think about this. No one bats an eye when you get the bill from having your car fixed and see a $75 an hour fee for the technician, but god forbid a doctor charge more than $50 for an office visit. Also, on your car bill, you will see ever single thing charged to you. ie - parts used, instruments used, paperwork processing fees, etc. But your doctor bill is one flat charge no matter how much time you take or how many nurses are needed.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• They run those un-needed tests because they don't want to be sued for mal practice in the future should it be found out that they should have done the tests...

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• They work hard to get to where they are. They deserve to get paid for it. I would pay extra for a doctor with a good reputation.
    And I do every time I chose someone off my insurance network. But hey someone has to be at the bottom of the graduating class. And that is exactly the kind of doctors your going to get with your public option.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Angeldawn7, look it up, family practice docs still make an average of $150,000 starting salary. Means they'll still be at over $120,000 to start. And I think it's pathetic that just because Medicare pays less, they don't want to treat the people. That's just wrong.

Bloobird, I'd rather have a doc that graduated at the bottom of their class, than not be able to go to the doctor at all. And I've had some high paid doctors that were absolute crap because they thought they knew everything and turned out to be wrong.
    Anonymous

• Why do people feel bad for the doctors?

Because it would be nice to have enough of them that you don't have to wait 6 weeks to see one. Novel concept, I know, but people tend to shy away from careers where it costs you more to go to school than you'll ever be reimbursed for it. Don't believe it? See: teachers. Difference being, we only need teachers for the portion of the population under age 18 and the very small fraction attending college. We need doctors for 308,988,773 people at all times, 24/7, year round. (plus anyone who isn't counted because they are here from another country, legally or illegally)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Oh, and Bloobird, I've worked hard to get where I'm at in my job, and I don't make that much, yet if it weren't for people like me (teachers) there WOULD BE NO DOCTORS.
    Anonymous

• Do you realize that most doctors do not get paid what people believe they do? There are many doctors, especially in small towns, practice on their own, no partners. They pay all the overhead, payroll, malpractice insurance, etc. They go to school far longer than other professionals, incur thousands of dollars of debt through loans, and spend far longer on each shift than your average working person. Why shouldn't they make decent money?

And AngelDawn makes a very good point about your auto repair bill. Why is it that we never bat an eye when the guy at the repair shop rips is off, but doctors are evil for trying to help people and making a decent living doing so? And they don't run un-needed tests. They actually have to prove to insurance why they are running those tests. They run them to cover their asses from being sued by idiots.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• So we should take away their money that they busted their hind ends off to earn just because you make less? Yep sounds like the progressive way of thinking to me! How about this novel idea: if you want to earn what they earn perhaps you should go to school, and log the training hours they have!
    Anonymous

• And I think it's pathetic that just because Medicare pays less, they don't want to treat the people.

If you had a business and it cost you $5 to make a product, and then then government came in and said, we will buy your product, but we will only pay you $3, would you sell your product to the government? Remember, $5 isn't profit, it's what you are paying out of your own pocket for raw materials and equipment and labor. If you want to make any money at all on it, you have to charge at least $5.01 for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010