20 months and climbing out of crib!

My 20 month old can now climb out of his crib but I don't feel like he's anywhere near ready for a toddler bed. I know he wouldn't stay it in and I would not feel like he's safe if I were to just shut the door with him in the bedroom able to roam around. Is there something I can do to keep him in the crib? (the mattress is lowered all the way and he has no bumpers, pillows, toys, etc.) How well do crib tents work and how do they attach? I'm also worried he will figure out how to take those off!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DS was out of his crib before 2
    get a gate for his door
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We switched my son to a toddler bed at 18 months and he did great. We just put a gate at his door. Good luck. ;)
    Anonymous

• Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I am interested in the responses you get because my dd is 18 months old so I'll probably be telling with it soon too.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 4:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• well, as bad as this sounds, if he gets out, you just put him back in , every single time. The first time it happens, say "it's time to go to bed, and when we go to bed, we stay in bed and go to sleep". After that, just keep putting him back in (if it's night time), it will be a long struggle, but lots of kids do that even in a toddler bed. You'll lose sleep, but in the long run, things will get better. Just a little trick i learned from watching Super nanny.
    Anonymous

• it can be exhausting putting them in bed every time they get out. it can go on for hours :( but it is supposed to get easier every time. i baby proofed the room very well and put a child proof door knob cover on the door knob so he couldn't get out. he would easily climb a gate. i have heard that pet gates are taller than baby gates, if you wanted to try that. i left my toddler in his room to roam, and he eventually would lay down and go to sleep.
    i wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You can buy a crib tent. This will keep him in the crib a while longer, and then you can move him to a bed when he is a little older. If I'd known then what I know now, I would have done this when my oldest started escaping the crib at 19 months. My 2nd and 3rd didn't escape, and I waited until 2 1/2 to put them in beds; it was SO much easier at that point.
    Anonymous

• I just bought a crib tent (brand new) and never took it out of the box. I ended up putting my little guy in a toddler bed and he is doing well. PM me if you might be interested in having it- I can ship it to you- it Is a CribTent2. Good luck
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 6:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't have an answer for you. I just switched my 11 month old to a toddler bed. He can get out of it but he can't get out of his room and I can hear him if there is a problem. I take most of the toys out when I put him to bed.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:28 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I put my dd in a toddler bed at 16 months and she did fine. We started with the mattress on the floor for a month and then moved her off the ground. She stays in without falling out and loves getting into her big girl bed. You could put up a baby gate but personally I love it when she sneaks into my bed in the wee early hours. And its nice during the day that when they are done napping they can just come get you.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 10:23 PM on Apr. 3, 2010