Tubes in his ears?

I know it's out patient but what can i expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The worst parts were getting him up that early...and his behavior coming off the medicine...otherwise its REALLY fast, and he hasnt had an ear infection since....Its a common surgery..my son was only 13 months when he got his tubes...but its been a blessing!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My son had his done 2 weeks ago. I got to the hospital an hour before his scheduled surgery... they took him away to the anesthesiologist, then 20 mins later came out to tell him it was done. It literally is a 10 minute surgery. I had to wait another 15 minutes or so, until he woke up, and then we waited there a couple more hours to be sure he was doing well after the procedure.. went home and he acted sleepy but not in pain at all. He is 21 mo.
    Anonymous

• my sister didnt like them, but she soon forgot about them, i've heard it doesnt feel good.....but once theyre in you wont have as mayn issues with his ears
    Anonymous

• I had them when I was little like 5.... I just remember you can't get water in your ears cuz it can make them come out (that was 15 yrs ago tho lol)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i heard pros and cons about them, my son has had so many ear infections since the age of 8 months and hes 3 1/2 now and finally has grown out of it, the dr was starting to talk about my son getting tubes
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• OP: Yeah he is 5 and has had one infection after another and has had hearing loss from fluid for the last 6 months. It's time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Yes, it is a quick surgery! Yes, not being able to have breakfast before surgery is no fun (for your little one!). My son was NOT HAPPY (inconsolable, like colic all over again!) after his surgery - at 13months. Also be aware that tubes don't always eliminate ear infections, but in most cases decrease them. Best wishes!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2010

• My daughter has had 3 sets (she will be 3 next week) and my son is getting his 5th set tomorrow (he is 5) so I am kinda a pro at this! You will go to a surgery center/hospital about 1 1/2 hour before surgery. They will ask you a bunch of questions and do vitals on him. Then they will give him a drink called Verced (it has a similiar affect as Nyquil) and it will relax him before they take him off to the surgery. Once in there they will give him a mask to put him to sleep (no tube down the throat or IV) after surgery it will take him about 30-45 minutes to wake up and he will probably be crying and angry as he comes out of the medicine. They will watch him for about an hour after he wakes up and then you will go home. Neither of my kids have even needed tylenol for the pain after so I am assuming it doesnt really hurt at all
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 7:00 PM on Apr. 5, 2010

• I think its a fairly quick procedure but takes a week to feel better I believe.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:38 AM on Sep. 15, 2010