Is it OK for my tween to shave her pubic hair all off?

My 12 year old tells me that she doesn't like her pubic hair and wants to shave it off. Is this normal? Or is this something to be concerned about? I haven't been through this before and not sure where to turn for answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I didnt even ask my mom. I hated my hair and got rid of it QUICKLY lol..by the time my mom noticed I had been doing it for awhile, and she asked me how i did it without cutting myself LOL my mom cant master the hair removal in that area!! REALLy funny to me...I dont see why it would be a problem..her hair, she has to deal with it itching when it grows back!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think it is normal. I never liked mine and have always shaved it since I started shaving and I started when I was 12
    hisblueeyes

Answer by hisblueeyes at 5:04 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think I started shaving mine about that time, I hated it. especially since my mom refused to buy me tampons. Pads and Pubic hair is just gross.

mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 5:05 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• no i dont think u should be concerned i started around then to also i was about 10 n hated leg hair so i started shaving..
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My 9 year old has long pubic hair and hates it. She has asked me to trim it for her. I think trimming is OK but I don't know if I would have her shave it.
    Anonymous

• if i were a parent to a young tween girl this would tell me that she is interested in sex. I would be concerned that someone has told her that "boys don't like it hairy down there" and i would def. have the sex talk with her if you have'nt already. I would also tell her maybe she should just trim that shaving all the way isnt such a good idea. I would probably also question her as to why she wanted to shave.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I did the same thing at 12, I hated my pubic hair! I think it's normal when it's such a new thing.
    Anonymous

• Well just because she shaved it doesnt mean shes into sex. If my daughter did that I would be ok with it and ask her the reason why she did it. Theres a reason as to why she doesnt like it being down there or growing. Maybe it bothers her? maybe she just hates the feeling of it. But she is growing and learning what new things are happening to her body. Let her explore herself and be there for her to answer any of her questions. If you feel concerned ask her pediatriacian about it. see what a medical doctors point of view from it is or ask some friends who have kids the same age if theyre kids are going through the same thing or doing odd things as well.
    j_21408

Answer by j_21408 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If I didn't shave I'd never be able to wear a bathing suit. When I was like 12 you could see the poof that was my pubic hair. So I started trimming than shaving. I don't think it has to do with sex, young girls are just super self conscious about their bodies. Besides she's going to need to clean up the bikini line anyway..unless you want her peers staring at her crotch and calling her chewbacca. Get her a remington beard trimmer for like 25.00 and let her shave the bikini line. I honestly think if your old enough to have pubic hair, your old enough to groom it however you want.

Anonymous

• It's normal, she's probably one of the first ones to get it and doesn't want everyone to know. It's embarrassing when you're that age, so I don't think it's a big deal.
    Anonymous