Do you think believing in God should be a spiritual thing or a mental thing?

I just read a story in Amercan Literature by Anne Bradstreet called, "To My Dear Children" where she speaks of her beliefs in God, and how she's broken away from the church because she doesn't believe that you should be told how to worship God. I believe, sometimes, that things like churches and congregation only want you to believe in God as long as you worship him in the same way they do. I think that your personal relationship with God is no different than the relationship you have with your spouse. You both understand eachother, you know how the other feels about other, so why does a person need to attend church to prove that? If God knows, why should others try to change your relationship with him? I think it should be a spiritual experience rather than a mental one that assures you're doing it right.

I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound preachy.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's a quote from her that I believe makes a good point.

"When I have got over this Block, then have I another put in my way, that admit this be the true God whom we worship, and that be his word, yet why may not the Popish Religion be the right? They have the same God, the same Christ, the same word: they only interpret it one way, we another."
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• amen, sista
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I've never thought about separating them before. I feel like it should be a whole body experience (mental, emotional, spiritual, physical etc). I am not just my brain, i am not just my spirit, i am not just my emotions. I am all of it and as such all parts are not separate, but connected. They all effect each other.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• A person has to make a conscious decision (mental) to accept any belief and walk within the spiritual realm in their belief so I don't see it as one without the other.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I do believe that churches tend to do this or at least come across this way.
    I believe that believing in god is an individual spiritual relationship, with a higher being we can not truly or fully understand. It has to be in your heart. I also don't believe you have to agree fully with any church and that they add alot of there version of right and wrong to it. I think that the bible is more of a suggested guideline to happiness and inner peace. As well the only this that or set as orders are the ten commandments.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think everyone needs to follow the spiritual path that best suits them. Some people need "fellowship" and the church experience, others don't, others don't even need a god on their spiritual path. If it fulfills them, and doesn't harm anyone else, I think it is the right choice.
    Anonymous

• ITA with outstandingLove. One's relationship with God should entail all of who they are, and shouldn't be limited to one part of them. Likewise, to ask whether it should be an either or kind of thing makes it seem as though one must sacrifice one for the other, and I don't believe that is necessary at all. I think its very important to make sure there is no contradiction, that all aspects are able to work together. You don't have to sacrifice your ability to rationalize or reason in order to believe, for example, but should instead use that ability in order to come to a firmer place in your faith. So I believe it should encompass both your spiritual AND mental processes, rather than choosing between the two...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010