Toddler not sleeping through the night

I need help! I have created a very bad habit with my newly 2 y/o. He stays up until about midnight and STILL gets up about 4 hours later for a bottle. It used to be our time, as I work swing shift, but it's been over two years since I've slept throught the night, and he is definitely ready to get rid of the bottle. He wants the bottle only at bedtime, for comfort. I really need some good advice on how to break this habit. I have already cut his nap to 45 minutes and up by 3pm. I have no idea why he wont go down any earlier. Thanks!

mommyof3xy

Asked by mommyof3xy at 6:13 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well I just recently got rid of the bottle with my son. And he is going to be 2 this month. What I did, AND I KNOW ITS HARD, is just drop it cold turkey. My son cried for 15 minutes before bed but got over it in a week. And no more bottle.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 6:51 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• cold turkey for the bottle issue and try starting the bedtime routine, if you have one, earlier and earlier each night
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My pediatrician told me absolutely do NOT stop cold turkey. His recommendation for my son (who drinks bottle after bottle all night long) is to just slowly cut back on the amount of liquid IN the bottle. Eventually he'll wean himself off of it.

Good luck!
    coffee.crisp

Answer by coffee.crisp at 7:06 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Naps can conflict major.... Wake him up around 7-8am feed breakfast, do lunch at 11am and nap at 12pm... Wake up by no later than 130. If he's asleep until 3pm in the afternoon, it's going to be SO SO hard to get him to bed around 8-830pm.

Consistency! That's the best thing for any issue your have with a toddler/child. Be consistent.

I had to do this when my son was 3 years old. We'd somehow ran off to a crazy schedule.

Give your child a routine, so he knows exactly what to expect. Brush teeth, bath on these days, wash face, story, bed. This will help make it a fun routine for your toddler.

So I suggest no more afternoon naps past 130pm. Routine... put the routine on a board with stickers, or a dry erase marker to check what's been done. let him participate.

Heres the hard part, after he is in bed, he'll probably test you, and your limits, maybe cry or throw a fit. Here is where you cannot give in. Once you give in,
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 7:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• It's only that much harder, and takes that much longer to get him down, and can become a game, to stay awake.

He gets out of bed, hug kiss, pick up put back in bed. It's night night. Repeat as much as needed, eventually it'll get old he'll get bored.

Stick with it though because it'll pay off, promise.

My son is now 4 years old as of yesterday. I say go brush your teeth, wash your face and get in bed... he does it, without a fight. Each night me or my hubby read him a short story.

GOOD LUCK : )
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 7:10 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Oh and for the bottle issue....

Try those soft tip sippy cups. That helped my son... hopefully it works for my daughter too when she's old enough.

Get one with a really cool picture, or let him pick it out... :D He may like it more then. Let him help you fill it up. Or just involve him somehow in the process. I think it helps.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 7:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I banned bottles from both kids. Youngest is 15 months and the oldest is two. I threw all the bottles in the house away and got sippy cups. HE cried for it but I would rather have tears then years of braces and bottle rot surgery. So I suggest throwing it out getting a sippy for his age range and only letting him drink out of that. He will learn that its gone and wont ask for it. BEst of luck to you
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:37 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Thank you everyone for the great advice and support :)
    mommyof3xy

Answer by mommyof3xy at 10:38 PM on Apr. 2, 2010