Told not to pick up my 2 year old after giving birth. Why?!

My doctor told me not to pick up my toddler after I gave birth to his sister. She did not say for how long or why. Does anyone know how long? My husband is working late and someone has to put him in his crib tonight. It's either me or his 5 day old sister. >.< What would happen if I picked him up? Thanks!!

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 6:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's only because you shouldn't lift more than 20 pounds or so. Since you just gave birth.

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• :( duh

• I think it is for about 3 are not supposed to strain yourself cause your muscles are still healing. i can't really remember why tough...but i think you will be ok as long as you don't do it often

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You should do this for 6 weeks I believe. Double check... you can call the OB to be sure on the time frame and weight.

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• They told me this too but I still picked up my almost 2 year old(second baby) after my baby(third baby) was born. I picked up my 5.5 year old(first baby) when my baby(second baby) was born. I was fine but that doesn't mean I should have done it. Moms do what they got to do though.

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 7:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• you can rip your muscles. you might not fill it...but it happens. When I had my first I ran around everywhere and did everything I did I have a hangy stumach cause I didn't let my muscles heal. I look like I lost alot or wieght and didn't tighten up when it happened. Put him or her on your lap when you're sitting and stuff....but I woundn't carry him or her around for along time. I hate my stumach and wish I would have listened to the doc.

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 7:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't think putting him do bed will be bad. You have to pick him up for things like that.

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 7:42 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• like another poster said, do what you have to do...just try to take it easy for a easy as possible. let your body heal, try to relax and enjoy your new baby! (i know it is hard with another little one)
    congrats on your growing family :)
    one sign that you have over done it is heavier bleeding.

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't know , but I would probably just do it anyway, it's my body if it's hurt me I'd stop but if it didn't I'd pick up my toddler. That's what I would do but I can't say that you should.

Answer by Liz132 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Im not sure but your a mother its kind of hard not to pick them up. Thats why Im so glad that I havnt had to be on bed rest this pregnancy cause i would be so screwed, Im a stay at home mom and would have no one to help me.

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2010