teeth

My daughter is almost 21 months and when i look at her teeth they look like brittle and are already crack'n. I really think that she is too little to take to the dentist since they are her baby teeth but I just want to know if it will effect her permanent teeth.

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As a former Dental Assistant here is my opinion--Your child is not 'too young' to see the dentist. Ideally dentists would like to see children for the 1st time when they are 1-2yrs old.     If you have a family (or general) dentist that you see on a regular basis then take your child there, otherwise you may want to consider a pediatric dentist-- they specialize in children.  I do think you should have your child's teeth checked out by a dentist and see what is going on with her teeth.  Baby teeth are a lot more important than some people think and they should be treated as such and not ignored because they are 'only' baby teeth.  

Anonymous

• Pediatric dentists WANT to see kids when they turn one. General dentists are "supposed to" see kids starting at age 2. Some types of damage to baby teeth can affect permanent teeth, so get it checked out. You want to know why you are seeing little cracks, don't you? So you can prevent it in the permanent teeth. AND one thing I didn't know....about 20% of people RETAIN baby teeth. My son has two "baby" teeth with no permanent teeth behind them....so you want to make sure your primary teeth are in great shape. (My son is 19 years old and has his wisdom teeth removed, so we know pretty much what's in his mouth).
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010