How long do you wait to tell family or friends?

I think I'm only 4 or 5 wks pregnant and not sure if it's a good time to tell family. Reading all the stories online, I'm afraid of miscarriage then I have to go back to tell everyone about it. I know there's no right/wrong time to tell, but what does people normally do? It's so hard holding in hehehe.

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i told my family and my dh's family the day i found out bc i was already 2months ..it just depends on you when do you want to tell them?! i want to wait next time..and we're not going to tell anyone the gender when i get pregnant next..we're going to be the only ones that know =)
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We wanted to wait to tell our families, but after a week and a half of knowing I HAD to tell my mother ... I was too excited :)

Then basically the whole world found out lol
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I told them exactly 5min. after I told my hubby....... but that is just me.

The family knew I was pg with my son almost 2 mo. before they knew my sil was pg.......... and her son is 3 mo. older than mine!
    Anonymous

• dh and i found out when i was 2 months along..it was the day before christmas eve...we waited til after the holidays...everyone was so excited
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• its really up to you to tell your family... when you feel the need to tell TELLL it would be a great feeling and such a relief long as you dont stress your self out about having a MC.. you can wait until the first visit to hear the heart beat i first heard mines about 10 weeks and saw in a ultrasound when i was 13 weeks!!.. but going into your 2nd part of pregnancy a greater chance of no MC, even after you hear the 1st heat beat!..
    Take it easy and CONGRATS!!!!
    Anonymous

• anon:47 here. We did have a very early miscarriage and had to tell everyone because we had already told them we were pg. It was much easier to go through and I didnt have to make up stories as to why I was upset.

Anonymous

• also miscarriages are completely unpredictable....i had one at 5 months. just because the risk goes down after 12 weeks doesn't mean it can't happen...i'm not trying to scare you at all. i'm just saying there is no reason to wait
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I had 3 miscarriages and we told everyone with in a week. DH and I suck at secrets.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I found out when I was 7 weeks... told my SO and that night we called everyone... we were too excited and everyone on his side had been waiting for him to have a kid (he was 30)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• We tell early, I usually wait until 6 weeks, just to be 100% sure I'm actually pregnant. I feel that it's better for people to know, because if you do have one, it's hard to go back and say we're pregnant but not anymore. I understand if others want to keep it a family secret until later. I just don't understand why it's so awful to have to tell people you're no longer pregnant. It's sad, and a loss, and having people around you know so they can support you is wonderful. I've been there.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2010