how much for daycare? HELP

i watch my 2 younger sisters after school and i get paid 10 each day to watch them both for anywhere from 1-4 hours. and we have to give them snacks or they coplain and my mother gets upset with me. and they said that they are paying me too much ... what do you think is the appropriate amount... I am a stay at home mom and we do just fine without the extra 200 a month...... what would you pay a daycare provider to watch your little ones? and what should i do about this situation?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 6:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it depend on your area. The going rate for a h.s. babysitter here is $10 an hour, an college kid from $12-$15 an hour.
    So if you were here, Id say you were getting ripped off.
    Anonymous

• Daycare, when I paid my sister to watch my now 4 year old, when he was 5 months old... mon-friday. for 6-8 hours a day I paid her 20$ a day. I also brought his own food, and if he were a toddler I'd bring him his own snacks. ( This is also just one kid you're taking on 2 kids )

I think 10$ a day is perfect for the amount of hours they're there. It's not over paying, if anything since there are two kids maybe 15$ would be more fitting. If they went to an actual daycare they'd be paying an arm and a leg, surely they know this.

I think they should provide the snacks or else that 10$ daily that should be to compensate you for your time now compensates the 2 kids food.

I think you're doing them a favor by watching them, and them not having to pay daycare prices, and sort out transportation arrangements to a daycare.

About the situation, I'd say hey if you want me to feed them snacks please provide them. continued
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Also mention that it bothers you when they say that you're over paid, maybe if they think they can get a better deal elsewhere they should do that. ( and they'll see real quick they can't, and just might appreciate you more)

You personally could call some near by daycare centers and price it out yourself, ask them how much it costs for two kids. for 4 hours. Get the average and share that info with their mom? Just an idea :D
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 6:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• When I had afterschool care for my oldest child it ran me about $110 per month (snacks included). This was 5 years ago, and I thought it was a pretty good deal then. I think what you are being paid is definitely not too high. You might call around to some of the daycare centers in your area and see what the going rate is for after school care.

If you continue to get complaints tell her you don't need the stress and would be glad to help her find a center. When you do business with family it's not uncommon for one or both to feel taken advantage of or cheated in some way (you have different expectations with family than you do with non-relatives). Your relationship with your mom is too important to let something like this come between you, so if you can't work it out where you are both happy I would definitely put an end to it.
    Anonymous

• it would cost about $20.00 a day for the 2 of them afterschool and that includes a snack.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:01 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• For after school care,5 days a week I believe it was $65.00 per week that I paid,and that was just for one kid.
    But thats where I live.On Monday, call around to some daycares and get quotes in your area.
    I wish I had found someone willing to watch just my one son for $10 a day! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• we pay 75.00 a week for our daycare provider! I do not know one that will watch 2 for only 200.00 a month, with or without a snack! That just isn't right! I would tell them to look elsewhere and see if they could find one to babysit for 10 and a day! I guarantee you they won't! Hope this helps you!
    barbna7

Answer by barbna7 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 5, 2010