how to help a baby with diarrhea

lacollins04

Asked by lacollins04 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son had problems I added cereal to his formula, and it helped a little with thickening up the stool.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 8:19 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think when he was under 6 months I just made sure I was keeping him hydrated. After 6 months, I fed him bananas and yogurt. My doctor was strick about no solids before 6 months, but I've heard of the cereal thing too.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Cereal, bananas and apple sauce will bulk the diarrhea up. If your doctor hasn't approved solids yet, I'd call them about giving some pedialyte to make sure baby is well hydrated.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You shouldn't give cereal to a baby under 4 months and never put it in a bottle.

The BRAT diet is out. The AAP not longer recommends it. You don't say how old your baby is, your baby could be 11 months and eating a lot of foods. The AAP says the BRAT diet limits food too much and babies with diarrhea can eat anything.

If your baby is breastfed the breastmilk should help the baby get over it. You can increase breastfeeding and decrease food if your baby is on solids. Your baby may go back to breastfeeding only.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010