baptism in catholic church

Why catholic church do their baptisms in babies and not when they are adults. Wat is the philosophy or the reason of that?

violetlady

Asked by violetlady at 8:31 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics believe baptism is a sacrament which accomplishes several things, the first of which is the remission of sin, both original sin and actual sin—only original sin in the case of infants and young children, since they are incapable of actual sin; and both original and actual sin in the case of older persons.

Peter explained what happens at baptism when he said, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38). But he did not restrict this teaching to adults. He added, "For the promise is to you and to your children and to all that are far off, every one whom the Lord our God calls to him" (2:39).
    Anonymous

• It's not just the Catholic church that does this, many denominations of Christianity do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Right Ryansmom, most Christians practice infant baptism. They include the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodoxy, Armenian Apostolic Church, Assyrian Church of the East, the Anglican Communion, Lutherans, Presbyterians, Methodists, some Church of the Nazarene, the Reformed Church in America, the United Church of Canada, the United Church of Christ, and the Continental Reformed.
    Anonymous

• Babies are baptized as young as possible to wash away original sin so that if something were to happen at such a young age the child may be put to rest without any sins.
    Anonymous

• I was baptized as an adult in the Catholic church. It is much more of a process when you're an adult, but you can be baptized at any age.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• From what I have been told by a few Catholics is that they beleive you can only go to heaven if you are baptised. So they baptise the babies to insure if they die young they would go to heaven. As well it was to wash away original sin. Now remember this is what I was told. I never really looked into it but I will. If I find some thing more helpful I will let you!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Here's a pretty easy to understand article about Catholic views on Baptism: http://www.lifeteen.com/default.aspx?PageID=APARTICLE&__DocumentId=771

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2010