s*x talk

TMI- how many people went to have 'the sex talk' with their kids only to find out they already knew more than they thought they did?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I never had "the sex talk" w/ my children, we just sort of answered the questions as they came up. I was very surprised by the conversations they have at school. I also found out some of the information was not correct, so you do have to talk to your children even if they are getting info somewhere else.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Doh! How old?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:08 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• My 5 and 8 year old understand about their period, s, how babies are made, and how babies come out.. They ask questions and I answer age appropriately., it was never really a formal talk. I just told my 8 year old about the tooth fairy, bunny, and santa also, her questions kept getting more in depth and I got sick of lying!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 10:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Nope, I have been having the sex talk with my son since he was 6. It is not a one time conversation, it needs to be ongoing and get deeper as the child develops. I have very open communication with my son and he knows that I won't freak out when he asks me questions, any question. I have also talked to him, openly, about drugs and alcohol, the affects they have on a persons body, mind, life and their friends and family's lives. What most kids learn in the halls of school is misinformation, I would rather he learn from me or his health teachers at school. My son is now in 8th grade, know what he needs to protect himself, what STD's are and how babies are made and ways in which they are born. He will be watching a live birth in health class this semester. Information, education and prevention are key.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I had to have a bit of the sex talk with mine this week when he came across some very graphic birthing pictures here on CM. I didn't realize he had come inside. I am not sure which irritated me more. That I had to explain something he wasn't ready for or that I didn't know where he was. LOL!

When my parents decided it was time for "THE" talk, maybe when I was 13, I played dumb even though I was way ahead of them and my brother, 4 years younger, just told them what he knew. Blew them away. Even I learned a couple things. It is important to start young, developmental issues not withstanding. You never know what kids are learning from their friends these days. In kindergarten one of son's classmates (a girl) smuggled in a playboy and the kids only got caught because they were simulating "sexy" poses.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 11:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• OP- "He will be watching a live birth in health class this semester."
    umm.... I assume this is going to be a film?
    Anonymous