Are daily outings too much for a young toddler?

For the past couple of weeks, I've been taking my 21 month old dd on daily outings-sometimes a walk around the neighborhood, sometimes to the mall, sometimes on errands to the grocery store or bank, etc.

Do you think this is too much activity for a kid so young? I don't want her to feel overwhelmed with going out all the time. It takes us sooo long to get ready to go, and I feel bad because we're always rushing to make the bus on time, etc.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that it is great!

Don't worry about taking your child on public transit; it is much safer than a car.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• nope, not at all. i think it's good for kids to get out... my girls have been going to restaurants since they were 2 weeks old. their behavior, compared to kids whose parents were too worried to take their kids when they were younger, is AMAZING. it's great for social interaction and cultural integration.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I don't think daily outings are a problem at that age. Alot of children go to daycare daily at that age and they are fine. However, if she gives you issues about getting ready or you find yourself stressed over it, making the outings less might be a good idea.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 10:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• im the same way with DD shes also 21 months old. I think its good for them to go out as oppose to staying in the house ALL day EVERY day.Theres more to see putside and things for them to learn....For Ex. i didnt take DD out much befor spring because it was suoer chilly outside..well when we did go outside she saw a bunch of blue birds and that just tickled her she was so amazed by them..lol..
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• If your child hasn't shown any negative effects from it, then she's most likely is fairing well from it. If your daughter is continuously cranky, her appitite or sleeping habits fluctuate drastically from day to day, etc. Those are signs that she isn't fairing well to the constant outings. If she still has a healthy appitite, her sleeping schedule is still maintin it's normal balance, then she's fine. Children easily adapt to the lifestyles of their parents, so if she's a happy and healthy little girl, then there's no need to worry. She might very much enjoy this, due to seeing new places and new faces all the time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• I think something should be said for children knowing how to "entertain themselves." I think outings are fine. They are great exercise and fun, but everyday may be a little excessive just in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 11:03 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 by: Anonymous
    I think something should be said for children knowing how to "entertain themselves." I think outings are fine. They are great exercise and fun, but everyday may be a little excessive just in my opinion.

^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^

OP

Are you assuming that my child doesn't know how to entertain herself? The outings only last 1-1.5 hours.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's a bad thing...but I think having a 'stay home all day' day is a good idea as well.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 11:43 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i dont think its a bad thing for children to get out every day unless shes crying and not wanting to go

but i have to say i wouldnt take a child that young on the bus (i assuming you dont take your car seat?)
    i wouldnt feel comfortable with my child being on my lap or on the seat in a bus without being strapped in a car seat, i was on a bus with my niece when i was younger and she was 4 and the driver had to slam on his breaks and she flew off her seat! and she was 4! so id never take a young child on the bus esp if its everyday

i suggest you look into the harnessing vests they make
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• For my high energy toddler, daily outing are a necessity!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2010