What would you say to this?

My dh told me that his ds is having sex when he told me this I was not too surprise just that I was kind of like wow already I thought he would wait a tad longer but oh well he is a man now :( I have known him since he was 2 yrs. of age boy the years go by so fast now he is 16. Well I was talking to him just casually and I kind of mention how kids are today blah blah blah then the sex word came up. He said something like well what if you get mad over this...I just kept it generally speaking I did not want him to know that I knew or that dad had told me...I think if we had more time to talk he would have eventually told me...I had my kids in the back making all sort of noise so so much for our conversation. But what I want to know how should I react if ever he wants to tell me I know I won't freak out but maybe a tad awkward.
I just told him (in general) to be careful and use your head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You did the right thing by talking to him casually. As if you were a nuetral party who was just having a general conversation. A lot of teenagers feel attacked, judged, and generally lectured by parents anymore. Due to the fact that most parents come at the subject in an accusing manner. "So, you're having sex now? Are you using protection? Do I know this boy?" And whether intended or not it's always in that "I'm the mother" tone. That's the wrong way to handle a situation with a teenager. You kept it calm, civil, and just made it about a friendly conversation between one and a half adults. That way they don't feel ambushed and pushed into a corner.

If he decides to confide in you. Just simply say "That's your choice, all I ask is that you be responsible and use proper protection." Leave it at that. That shows you trust and repsect him to make the right move. He'll respect that and mostly likely confide in you later.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:48 PM on Apr. 2, 2010