• In the Spotlight:

Cigarettes and Breastfeeding

I had one cigarette and I am breast feeding how long until I can breast feed my son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Health

• Right away. There are no rules against smoking and breastfeeding.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:11 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Anon :13, actually breastfeeding and smoking is still healthier for baby and mom than formula feeding :) There's a LOT more crap in formula thant here is in a smoking mother's breastmilk.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She still shouldnt be smoking- you think your doing your a kid a HUGE favor by BF but then you up their chances of cancer & asthama so you can selfishly smoke. GROSS. Even you dont smoke around your child it lingers on your hands, breathe, & clothes. Shame on you for not using your head.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• She said she had ONE...relax!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 11:22 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Ok do not even start the formula is bad,blah,blah thing.Bottom line to the poster do what you think is best.I would not smoke and breastfeed since you do not know what it may do or not do to the baby however when in doubt ask your doctor.GL:)
    Anonymous

• I'm sorry but I beg to differ Ati 13..... The baby will consume all the crap that is in cigarettes. There is poison in cigarettes, so the baby will be taking that in. You should wait 8 hours for the crap to be out of your system, and need to pump during that time in order for it to be out of your milk...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• i think smoking while breast feeding is just plain stupid
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• Anyone noticed the poster- posted anon. They obviously know its BAD to do otherwise they wouldnt have done so.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• MrsLeftlane, disagree all you want, evidence supports breastfeeding as statistically superior to formula feeding, including when the mother smokes. You think there isn't arsnic and rat droppings in formula? Because there is. The FDA sets standards for acceptable amounts of trace chemicals and contaminates.

Anon, no one said formula was bad. It's "fine", but breastmilk, even when mom smokes, is still superior.

Baby will be consuming cigarrett smoke either way. Either through breastmilk or by inhaling it from furnature, mom's clothes, etc. Breastmilk might contain some of the nastiness in them, but it's not going to contain enough to negate all it's benefits.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• All I can say is "Here's your sign" it seems fitting here for some reason.....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2010