What do I need for cloth diapers?

I'm planning on using cloth diapers for the first time. What do I need to get along with them? I want to use those bummis or bum genius ones.

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah you need some kind of pail or bag, one that closes though because the smell will kill you if it doesn't close. Just that and cloths and diaper covers. Try to get at least a dozen or two because they go by really quick especially for NB babes. That's only if you don't want to do laundry like every day. Other than that good luck! I love using them!
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• a washing machine and a toilet to scoop the poop into...thats all...well wipes don't hurt either haha
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• You need some kind of pail or bag to keep the soiled diapers in. Most people now do not use a wet pail. You need some cloth diaper friendly soap for washing. I agree with the wipes, I like large flannel ones.
    I used grocery bags for dirty diapers when we were out and about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:52 PM on Apr. 2, 2010

• There's a tutorial I like on greenmountaindiapers.com. She's a bit anal about what you wash with. diaperpin.com has reviews of detergents.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• A placeto wash. A wasable bag or rubbermaid trash can of whatever style you like. You won't need to scrape poo into the toilet until around 6 months when solids change the poop. join the cloth diapering mamas group here at cafe mom.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• a sprayer to get the poop off, diaper friendly soap, and a wet bag/ pail to keep the dirty ones until washing.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:13 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• I use cloth diapers, I made the switch about a year ago. I use prowrap diaper covers, they have velcro closure and have held up really well so far. They are cheaper than most diaper covers. I use 6 ply cloth diapers inside them. With a family of 6, I do laundry everyday anyway, so I wash them quite frequently, they do smell really bad if they sit for more than a day, so you may want to invest in a diaper pail that closes. I keep them in plastic grocery bags, doubled up.
    Anonymous