anyone have ParaGard?

just wondering what side effects you had or are having? how did they put it in? did it hurt? they give you meds for pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Apr. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• It was uncomfortable to be put in, like mild cramps, but nothing major. They insert it through a long tube into your cervix, they pop it out, it unfolds and they adjust it to sit right. you have to go back after your first period with it in to get an ultrasound to check it's positioned correctly.

Side effects have been insanely heavier periods and I've skipped twice though that's not "officially" a side effect, I've head it happening in other women. Some women get more painful cramps but I haven't really had cramps at all since I got it.

I was told to take a motrin before hand for the pain, but it really wasn't that bad. I love my paragaurd despite the heavier periods and would recommend it to anyone.

Hope that helps! :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i've heard it hurts like hell...i'm not very good with pain 'down there'...i read that you can do a monthly check on it yourself, is it easy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I'll be honest, my OB cut my strings too short and I have a hell of a time finding them but right before my period I can always feel the IUD lightly pressing from the inside if that makes any sense. Like once a month I can actually feel it in there and the rest of the month I'd never know it was there.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My midwife numbed me locally before inserting and I felt just some tugging but I also had 2 vaginal births before. I had some pretty severe cramping for about 3-4 days after insertion and now my periods are a little heavier, but other then that I LOVE my Paragard. Never had to get an ultrasound to check it was there. I am supposed to check after my period each month for the strings to make sure it is still there and that is pretty easy to do. If I ever can't feel the strings or have severe cramping I am supposed to call for an ultrasound to verify it's position.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2010