What will social services do?

Last night my husband lost his temper & slapped our son. Left a mark on his cheek. It's never happened before i was shocked that he did it, as he's a sweet & gentle man. He was upset that he lost his temper like that & don't want to be that type of father. So my son goes to school and I get a call from the school that they are calling social services, we have to go up to the school and speak with a social worker and a police office. No charges were pressed against him but now social services is doing an investigation and are supposed to come by our house. I'm just worried as I've never had anything like this happen before & we have never hit our children before. which the children confirmed with the officer and social worker when spoken to seperatly. Just wondering anyone ever deal w/this or what will happen. They said he can't be around the kids unsupervised until the investigation is done.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• im sorry but thats crazy......my son get spanked all the time and put in time outs.....its how me and my hubby were raised.....yes the face is not good but people should mind there own business and let us raise our kids how he want to .......i swear this world is no longer going to be a free country....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If it truly was a one time thing nothing will happen. They will come in look around and close the case. The problem is he was hit on the face and it left a mark. They may feel the need for your hubby to take a parenting class. But whatever they suggest, just do it. And do it willingly or this can easily escalate. Don't piss off the social workers and don't appear like your hiding something. The more you cooperate the sooner it will be over.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• anon :19 Spanking is not illegal. If this child was hit on the bottom and there was no mark nothing could be done. But you can't hit a kid in the face that is assult. Teachers, doctor, foster parents and other professionals have to report suspected abuse, it's the law.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• they will investagate you and take your child by himself and ask him questions to see if he is being coached they may have you take a parenting class but ae long as it has only happend once you should be okay i feel for you i always worry this will happen to us people but in and its not their business i bet your husband didnt even mean to hit hard till it happened... it sucks cause look at the parents that beat and even kill their own kids where is social services then huh!!!!! everything will be okay!
    Anonymous

• He hit him hard enough last night that there was still a mark today? If thats the case then I hope social services investigates fully and makes your DH and You take parenting and anger managment classes. I spank but hitting on the face that hard is just plain ol abuse!!!! Was it an open hand or fist? That will make a diffrence in the case too.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• my post * yea he didn't mean to hit him that hard, right after it happened he regained his composure & hugged our son & cried & told him that it's not ok to hit him that way & he was so sorry. I told my hubby that one slip up is understandable, sometimes we just lose it, but he's got to control it, in that situation leave him to his room alone until you/him cool off. that's the right thing to do. I'm just horrified by this social worker telling me to leave him & I'm the mother it's my responsibility to protect the kids (which I agree with) but she was making me feel like it was my fault. I'm like lady It's not like he broke his arm or something, it shouldn't of happened but making me feel like crap when I didn't hit our son is not exactly helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Okay I'm sorry but when someone smacks a young child in the face hard enough to leave a mark, its hard for me to believe that it will be a "one time thing." Little kids can be a handful, we all know that...and we all lose our tempers. But when someone resorts to physical acts of violence in anger, a serious problem has surfaced. Spanking is one thing because when it is used as a form of discipline, it is A. not usually done hard enough to leave a mark, B. used to teach the child a lesson, and done and not done in anger, C. and done on the BOTTOM...not on the face. I am not attacking you at all, as you were just a witness of this event. But as a mother, I would hope you would see the seriousness of this situation. It is NEVER okay to strike a child in the face. The school was right to contact social services for suspected abuse. I would hope they would do the same for any situation. I'm not sure what social services contd...
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• will do, but I hope you really think long and hard about what happened. I know if my fiance ever hit our son in the face, he'd be out the door. My baby comes first. Good luck.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have to say reading your post raises some questions, for one why are you protecting your husband when he did something so wrong and two you said that you guys have never hit your children before and I find that really hard to believe when your husband just smacked one of your children in the face. I have a husband that has gotten out of line before for instance when my son is throwing a huge fit and my husband puts him in time out for what ever he did wrong sometimes he will what I call is rough him up by grabbing his arm and being rough with him while sitting him down and dont think for one second I dont correct that crap. And my husband finally got it that he needs to chill out even when our son test his limits. We will always make mistakes in life even when it comes to parenting but thank about what you guys have done now. Your son is being questioned by strangers and teachers, how could you guys let that happen. This is
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:08 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• cont.... very sad to me that any child would have to go through something like this when it could have easily been prevented. I honestly can say that my husband would no longer be in our house if he ever laid a hand on our son like that. He would be begging to come back home and for forgivness for a very very long time. We gave birth to thees little babys and its our job to protect them, dont deffend your husband any more. He should feel bad for what he did and I would be very worried that since he got out of line that bad what else he might do when maybe your not around or even when your around next time.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2010