if the act of homosexuality is considered a sin does that mean the attraction is to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaChamp, I think what you're thinking of is this, maybe: "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart" (5:28)

I still think there is a difference between being ATTRACTED to someone, and actually having lustful thoughts. If you're on the beach and a hunk walks by, it is natural to think, "He's good looking!" However, if you tilt your sunglasses down and stare at his butt as he walks by and try to imagine it naked, THAT is lusting!

I don't think it's a sin for a man to be attracted to another man. I think it is the RESULTS of sin in our world, just as it is not a sin for an alcoholic to walk past a bar and get thirsty. It is human nature. Even Jesus was tempted. Being tempted is not a sin. Allowing yourself to fall to temptation IS.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Does your religion say it's a sin to be attrated to another's spouse? I think that would be the same. Attraction, intent and acts are all different, right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

Yes technically, but my pastor said it is sinful, if you think it it is as good as acting on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• There is a scripture that confirms this but I have no idea what it is! Sorry, maybe someone else will know.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• The Catholic Church teaches that the ACT is a sin, not the attraction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree with Adelicious.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Neither one, because if you are gay the natural thing is to act, just like heteros act on their natural instincts.

Answer by older at 1:51 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Now wait most of what I see here is people saying that if you are gay you can be attracted, but most live a lie. Wait isn't that against the ten commandments. Remember tho shall not lies. Or is it ok to do so in this case. Ummm NO.For god to allow these people born this way, then saying I'm sorry you have to pretend to be some thing you are not. Would be him setting them up for failure. They would be damned if they do damned if they don't. How can any one who believes in god believe he would allow that. The bible says do not do what is unatural and they aren't this is what is natural to THEM. There is no recovery group, no self help books how to not be gay, and no shrink that can make you straight. IT IS NOT AN ILLNESS. So if you feel this you feel any woman who can not get preg. is a sin, any man who can not impreg. is a sin. any single person is a sin. Some one who is gay is meant to be alone and w/o love.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If you beleive god would allow that then how can you truly believe in god. Every one deserves love and should not have to live a lie. How sad some one can even think a god that we love amd say is kind would allow that for any one. God is great God is good, God is kind. I always hear this from you. So why do you say what you don't feel true. I believe these things and that is why I believe neither is a sin. Man choose it to be one not god!!!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• The RCC, as somebody already said, teaches that the ACT is a sin but just BEING is not. We believe that people like that are called to chastity. You don't have to agree, but that's what the belief is. And btw, nobody said they have to pretend to be something they are not, they don't have to lie about being gay, I didn't see anybody say they did.
    Anonymous