What do you think of studies showing that men have on average 5 points higher IQ than women?

I just learned this, but I have SUCH a hard time believing it!!! I'm wondering if the higher IQ is there to balance out some of the dumbness that comes with testosterone or something??

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 1:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Here's something to keep in mind.

"It really depends on the IQ test. Since most of them are written by men, they tend to favor the male definition of intelligence. And, then it is easy to see why men score a bit higher. If women wrote the IQ tests, then they would score higher. In all practicality, IQ tests tend to have a limited and narrow view of intelligence. SO any results should be looked at with a healthy dose of skepticism."
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Um, really? You are a member here, you see what kinds of questions and answers are on here and yet, you still question this. I suggest you head on over to a man's forum and check their stuff out. YES, it's true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I had never heard that. ...Interesting. ...Where are these men you speak of?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• In my opinion IQ tests are flawed. 40% of them is about shapes. For that you need to use the more artistic, right side of your brain. If you use your logical, left side of the brain predominantly, you will score lower. In conclusion a painter could have a higher IQ than a rocket scientist. How is that correct?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• well, a painter COULD have a higher IQ then a rocket scientist. The problem is only part of what they test. It's also how people judge intelligence.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Anon :21, actually shapes are a left-brain slanted question lol. It's geometry, which is mathematical, which is left-brained :)

I believe it. The reason i believe it is because men are usually educated to a higher level than women. Women usually put off the Master's when baby is on the way, you know? Women sacrifice more for their chilren, which includes college education. It's just a fact that men still attend college in larger numbers.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I'd say that IQ tests are not completely valid. There are all sorts of things wrong with them. Also I'd say that the types of questions that are asked and the way the test is given is probably geared more towards testing the way men think / answer etc. Generally speaking men and women have slight differences in the way they process information, in the way they learn and the way their brains work. If you design a test that is biased towards one way of thinking, learning and responding you will see results that reflect that.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:40 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Ati13, I don't agree that shapes are processed by the left brain. Just because geometry studies shapes, it doesn't mean that all shapes have mathematical purpose. In the IQ tests, when you are resolving the shape questions, you definitely do not use geometry. Maybe you forgot what geometry really is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I love it when the know-it-all men score 20 points lower than their so-called stupid wives, lol. My ex and I had to be evaluated once when our kids were temporarily taken into foster care, and I scored higher than he did! I STILL laugh about that one, and it's been nearly ten years ago!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• rolling on floorNot from what I've seen in the men I've met!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2010