Monsters and horror movies

Why do people like these? I honestly believe that these things negatively influence your life quality and should be banned. I don't see any benefits to giving kids monster toys or letting teenagers watch horror movies. I'm also against giving kids toy guns, but that's another story.
What happened to cherishing beautiful things in life? Like flowers and rain.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Those things would not be beautiful if you never saw the bad things in life. You cannot have one without the other. There is beauty in life, yes. But there is also beauty to be found in death, it just looks different.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• beauty to be found in death

Please explain that. I am totally lacking knowledge in that area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• lol...and pooping rainbows. Sorry I do understand where you are coming from. But I personally don't have a problem with horror movies. If my child is young and does not know the difference between fiction and nonficition then yes they aren't watching bad monsters and horrors but teenagers generally don't have a problem with this. I like to get scared during a movie but I know that it isn't real.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I love horror movies. They are thrilling and exciting to watch. Just as I love roller coasters, again it's a THRILL. My quality of life is quite wonderful (career/marriage/children/home ownership/close family), and I've been watching horror movies since about the age of 7. ::shrugs:: I honestly don't think being exposed to horror flicks will determine whether your life goes in a positive or negative direction.

Anonymous

• beauty to be found in death.

without winter, where things are dead and life seems to cease, there could never be spring! New buds blossoming and the arrival of caterpillars and ladybugs. Could you imagine if nothing ever died? We'd be overrun with ...LIFE. There must be a balance.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:14 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think people who love horror movies have some mental disturbances caused by the movies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• anon:17 what study do you base that on? LOL Do you know how many people in this world LOVE horror flicks? It's pretty NORMAL actually. Why do you think so many horror films have been so successful, even made into CLASSICS? Surely you don't think a large majority of the population is mentally disturbed. Hell, maybe you do. hehe

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• karmic flow, every positive there is a negative. I would not show my four year old a Chucky movie. But If I wanted to watch a horror film I should be able to. There many forms of beauty. And I think some films capture the beauty that is the human condition. To each their own, judge not less the be judged.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Horror movies are just something to get you thinking, a lot of situations can be avoided and helps teach you to be weary of certain things, because you saw a movie that scare you one time etc. I think parents need to sit down and explain to kids special effects, but I personally love horror movies, monster movies, horror video games, shows like forensic files etc. it just opens you up to a whole new way to think. I do also enjoy comedies, going to parks and cherishing the things dear to me, and horror movies and the thought of dieing at any point help you to realize how precious these things are
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 4:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• You clearly have never sat little boys down to play with flowers. I completely agree with the toy guns, but what is wrong with using your imagination when it comes to monsters? That is a show of intelligence, being able to imagine the worst (or grossest or most powerful or (fill in the blank HERE) ) and not be afraid. How do you teach courage, or bravery if they have nothing to fear?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 8:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2010