Today, a 5 year old told me: God is dead.

He attends a church-based day care 5 days/wk, and also attends a different church with his family every Sunday. He brought his mother's helper and came to play for a while with DS tonight, and out of the blue, casually tells us all "God is dead." He sounded quite happy about it, too. Obviously, school covered Good Friday today. His mother's helper (he's 13) got horribly nervous and kept telling him to stop saying it, that it was bad. This confused the little boy. Helper kept glancing at me, I think expecting me to get mad about it or about this conversation happening in front of DS. He finally got him to stop saying it, but I could tell the little boy really didn't understand what the fuss was.
When you take your young child(ren) to church and begin teaching them young, do situations like this even cross your mind?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• laughing

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Well, as you know i don't take my children to church. but this reminded me of a situation when my cousin was younger.

My aunt would read bible stories to her son before he went to bed at night. One day there was a death in the family and my aunt was very sad. My cousin (who was probably only 5 or so at the time) told her to stop crying because it didn't matter that so-and-so had died. He'd be back again in 3 days! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Its so annoying when parents shut their kids up out of personal embarassment instead of explaining to them what they need to learn!! Doesn't matter if the topic is religious, sex, or any other type of education parents should be stronger than this.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Its so annoying when parents shut their kids up out of personal embarassment instead of explaining to them what they need to learn!!

His parents weren't here, did you even read what happened?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I do not regularly attend church, however my sister does and my niece learned about jesus being crucified, however, her class ended before the teacher said that he returned, my neice was three and came crying to us that jesus was dead and now no one can get into heaven. I felt so bad and spent a long time explaining to her what actually happened, we read that whole section of the bible piece by piece.

Also I agree that parents need to explain things to their kids, If any of the kids in my family said anything embarassing I would laugh it off and explain to them, otherwise they are afraid to ask about things or say different comments so that they can avoid getting scalded, a kid does not know any better
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 4:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I did take my kids to church when they were young, and I work with the preschoolers at our church now. Yes, things like this happen, just like they do with little kids in every other aspect of their life. That's where you just take the time to explain it to them in terms that they can understand, and then laugh your rear off about the cute things they come up with later!

That would have been the perfect time to explain that no, God isn't dead. Jesus died for our sins and so we can get to go to Heaven when we die, but one of the very special things about Jesus that makes Him different from ANY other person in the WHOLE world is that He was only dead for 3 days. After that, He came back alive - and that's why we celebrate Easter - because we're so happy that He loved us enough to do this, and that He came back to life after He did.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• cont

It's sort of like when my dd was little, and it was Easter time, and she got very upset. She couldn't believe that "those mean people killed that poor little baby!" I couldn't figure out what she was talking about, but after asking her some questions, we were able to figure out what she meant. We had a friend who had had a baby not much before Christmas, and we had talked at Christmas about "baby Jesus". Well, she saw how big our friends dd was, and she knew that Jesus died at Easter. She thought they had killed that poor baby! We explained about it, and that there had been MANY MANY MANY years between them, and that Jesus CHOSE to do it, for us, and that He came back alive after (pretty much as I posted above). She was ok with it then.

lol - also like the little girl who asked me a few months ago why the animals didn't eat Jesus when he was in the manger ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• That's cute, He's five that's what he understood. I feel bad for the mothers helper he is young and didn't know what he should be doing.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:43 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I don't introduce them to church this early for that reason. I got furious with my grandma when my oldest was two and she told god was always watching her. My dd freaked tried staying awake as long as she could afraid god would get her in her sleep. Honestly young children can not truly comprehend religion. Shoot a lot of adults can't. So why start them so young to have them confused and scared, and then later become brain washed into some thing they may not truly believe, but are to scared to say so. This is a perfect example of the confusion it can cause.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't be so hard on your grandma....when my daughter was 2 she decided that alligators were under her bed and couldn't sleep either....some kids just spook easily....it's nobody's fault....another daughter freaked out about angels....then there's my son....who went around telling poeple his dead grandmother opened doors and made noises in our house! Point is, you can't shelter them from their imagination....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Apr. 3, 2010