10 year old with a cavity

My 10 year old daughter has a cavity in her molar. It doesn't hurt her at all, she just found the tiny hole when she was brushing her teeth. My question is - should I take her in and have it filled even though she will lose it, or should I wait? Or will they pull it? Has anyone else had this issue with their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You need to take her to the dentist! A dentist can check her other teeth as well and fill them as needed. And he/she can help her learn better oral hygeine like brushing twice a day, flossing, and maybe eating less candy or sugar gum. Going to a dentist is a healthy habit to start.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• have it filled.....Never NOT have a cavity in a baby tooth filled because the decay from the baby tooth can then go down and start rotting the adult tooth BEFORE it comes up out of the gum.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would let a dentist make that decision. My DD has a small cavity in a baby molar that the dentist is not going to fill becuase she will be losing that tooth soon anyway. I appreciate that he is saving me money! but as twins....said, don't make that decision yourself, or you could risk some major dental damage.
    ckdmom

Answer by ckdmom at 3:31 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My daughter had a small cavity in one of her baby teeth and the dentist told us he wouldn't do anything because she was going to lose that tooth soon. Honestly though, I think I'd take her to the dentist and let him make the call.
    Anonymous

• have it filled. i would at least take her to dentist for a full check. my SD went in for 1 cavity, found out she had 3 from that dentist....well, she doesnt do well with fillings so he had to stop in the middle and send her to a pediatric dental specialist place. we went there and come to find out she actuallly had like 10. a lot were small, but i was blown away. it was the first time i had been in charge of anything with my SKs teeth and I felt like such an idiot when the nurse told me. We had to set up 3 seperate appointments to get them all capped and filled. one was so bad that if it had been let go, it could have damaged her adult tooth. believe me, i will not be taking my DD to the same dentist #1. If I can, I will be going to the pediatric specialist.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2010

• Just like what twinsplus2more said "have it filled.....Never NOT have a cavity in a baby tooth filled because the decay from the baby tooth can then go down and start rotting the adult tooth BEFORE it comes up out of the gum."

My son has had 3 cavities filled in his "baby" teeth for the same reason that twinsplus2more stated. If they don't get treated properly they can decay and rot the adult teeth.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2010

• eventually she will loose it but i would take her in and have it filled because it can get infected and that will be worse i think its less pain to have it filled then to have to have it pulled. or if your not sure take her in anyways and see what the dentist says about it.
    Anonymous

• I have a 9 year old dd and she has a cavity in one of her baby teeth. The dentist recommended that the cavity be filled because it may cause root problems or spread to other perm teeth. After having a could of these, my dentist recommended that she have her teeth sealed, or protected with a special liquid. This took very little time to do and now I am more confident that her teeth will remain in good condition. It is a fact that children who have good teeth have more confidence.

laughing

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2010