Would you?

ok... I lost my job and DH's friends mom runs a resturant and gave me a job. Aside from her stealing food and money from the place, this place is horrible. The cooler is never below 50 degrees. The manager uses windex as her main cleaning agent and today another worker showed me BLACK MOLD behind some drywall. I'm really debating about contacting the health department. This place is awful. I feel bad though because she did give me the job and really helped us out. But I really feel sorry for the people eating there. I'm just not sure what to do. Should I report the resturant? How would I even do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hate to say it, but I'd be lookin' out for me and my family. If the place gets shut down because of health code violations you lose your income again. Instead of reporting it, i would just start working, tactfully, on improving the hygene of the place.

Also, a lot of different molds appear black. And if you live in a humid climate it's going to show up sooner or later. there's often nothing you can do about it, and most places dont' have health codes enforced on molding buildings because there's just no way to stop it. Black mold is serious, but to determine if it is actually the scary, nasty black mold, you would have to have it tested.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• If it's not serious to the health department, they won't shut it down. If it is, then you reporting it will possibly save lives in the event of a horrible allergy or food poisoning. You can always report it anonymously.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Wow I think I would have to report them. All I can think of is some child getting sick because I served them meat that wasn't kept at the correct temperature. Bacteria must be everywhere...I'd have to report it all. I wouldnt want someones sickness or even death on my hands. Not to sound snotty but it does come down to that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I'd report it, I'd feel horrible until I did
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 2:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would report it. The thing that pops into my head is what if a kid got sick from something he ate there. I would feel guilty about it. If you do report it and they do close it maybe they'll have you help clean things up and you still have an income coming in.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Report it anon. I can't imagine how furious I'd be if my kids or another realtive got very sick and someone who worked there and knew didn't report it. Also, if it were me who worked there and someone was made sick by the place or worse, I'd feel the guilt for the rest of my life.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• PLEASE report it. I know it is hard being in your position, but most likely if they got shut down you would at least get unemployment or a severance until you found a new job. You would never forgive yourself if a child got sick from eating there. Not to mention, karma will be good to you if you do the right thing.
    Good Luck, for the sake of other moms please report it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Anon :35, not unless she's been employed for at least 6 months, longer in some places. She's new to this job, and was between jobs for a while before that. Unemployment might turn her down and then she's SOL with hungry kids.

I agree that it needs to change, but like I said before, I would change them from the inside, rather than reporting it. I have to look out for MY family first, because no one else will.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2010