Is this intolerant or hateful?

A young man at my daughters' high school wore a shirt to school that said on it, "I am straight".
He did it as a joke since many of the kids at this school wear gay pride t shirts. My older daughter is friends with his girlfriend. She told my daughter he didn't mean it as hateful, or bashing gay people. He saw it at Spencer's gift shop and bought it.
He was sent to the principal's office and was told he had to change shirts or else he would be sent home. Since he had no change of clothes they called his parents to pick him up. They were both at work and couldn't pick him up. The principal made him turn his shirt inside out and gave him detention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's just stupid. I mean why can't people just express themselves anymore. Everyone is so quick to judge and turn something into a big deal that is just not a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• What? So kids can wear GAY PRIDE shirts but you can't wear a STRAIGHT PRIDE shirt? That's a double standard and a half! That in no way bashes anyone, it is just him being proud to be straight. We encourage gays to be proud to be gay what is the difference?
    What happened to being proud of your sexuality regardless.... or does that just count for the gay kids?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• That's stupid...If they can wear gay pride shirts he can wear an I'm straight shirt. I could understand if he was bashing someone but it sounds pretty innocent.
    mommaplaysbass

Answer by mommaplaysbass at 2:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I don't see how they can allow gay pride shirts If they won't tolerate a shirt the says "I'm staright" both shirts only state that persons own sexuality. If they made him turn his shirt inside out and gave him detention then they should of done the same with anyone wearing a shirt that had anything to do with sexuality. Geez I just don't understand people...gays are fighting so hard to be treated equally and have the same rights as straight people but what people don't relize when you give them specail treatment that's NOT equal. IDK
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 3:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think what he wore was stupid, but I don't think it was rude or hateful. How is it any different than wearing a gay pride shirt?

Frankly, I wouldn't wear it, but then again, I also could care less that someone is gay, either. Unless you are sleeping with me or mine, it's not any of my business and I don't need to read it on your shirt. BUT - if it's ok for one person to express, advertise, and take pride in their sexuality, then why is it not ok for someone else to do the same thing?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree with crissy
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Oh brother, he should be allowed freedom of speech, nothing was derrogitory so what's the big deal. Ugh stupid people.
    proudmommy1805

Answer by proudmommy1805 at 4:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with the shirt..... as odd as this is, I am really against the decision of the school.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 4:50 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It sounds like ANOTHER case of appeasing the "least common denominator" at the expense of the majority. Seriously regardless of what you're proud of being....if you're truly proud, then it should NOT bother you!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• What? So kids can wear GAY PRIDE shirts but you can't wear a STRAIGHT PRIDE shirt? That's a double standard and a half! That in no way bashes anyone, it is just him being proud to be straight. We encourage gays to be proud to be gay what is the difference? What happened to being proud of your sexuality regardless.... or does that just count for the gay kids?

Baed on this info, OP~ it appears to be a Double Double Standard. I agree with Crissy.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2010