Do you really have to wait 6 weeks after delivery for sex?

I did after my first but I was really sore but this time around I felt fine even right after giving birth. It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I feel like it would be just fine. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• i have answered this question several times and because it is so important for the health of the post partum mom i am more then happy to say this again. NO,NO,NO i t is not ok to have sex until u have yr checkup with yr OB doc who will do an internal exam to make sure the cervix(the mouth of the womb or uterus, where the baby passes thru to b born) is closed. it opens to 10 cms when fully dilated for birth&it should close to almost 0 cms when u r healed & able to have sex.The reason is so none of the contents of ejaculate(sperm& semen)can travel easily into your uterus and cause an infection that is painful and can have an effect on your future fertility.PLEASE PLEASE,i f u feel well enough to hv sex go to the ob doc EARLY& let him clear u so u avoid what can b serious consequences.i am most concerned that the ob staff doesnt make this clear to every ob pt. they hv in their practice.Take care of yrself& yr children c doc 1st.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• with our second baby we didn't wait the full 6 wks it was a lil painful but it didn't hurt nothing
    laura0107

Answer by laura0107 at 3:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It's not just about whether you feel fine or if you feel sore. There is a lot of internal healing that goes on, and if you don't wait you can slow that healing process down, or even end up with a uterine infection. That could land you back in the hospital (my uterine infection did), and it could cause long lasting problems.

It's just like when you cut and skin your knee. Just because it stops bleeding and might not even be sore anymore doesn't mean it's healed....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• it's a timeline for average ppl of healing.. I'ld wait lol you're most fertile during that time..so if you plan on having sex soon... triple wrap and birth control LMFAO
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 4:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I had a c sec and I could not wait that long, I dont know about you, but I am worse then my husband, I waited 3 weeks and I was all set, we had no complications, but just be careful, if it starts to hurt stop and wait a little longer, you just need to be weary of the things that can go wrong and take it slow the first time
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 4:18 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It depends on the person and what all was involved in the delivery. I delivered vaginally and had 3rd degree tearing from cervix to bum. We tried to have sex at 5 wks, and it hurt like hell, then at 6 wks I was still tender, but could have soft sex. Then I have heard of those who've had C-sections who had sex within the first couple of weeks. Generally, if you deliver vaginally, they tell you 6 wks to prevent infections, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• pp here= one more thing- make sure u usethe birth control method of your choice if u dont want to hv 2 children very close in age. it is very possible to get very pregnant the very first time u hv sex after having a baby and not using any protection. also remember stds, depending on your situation. all is fair game and very possible after just once!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I waited 8 weeks with the first and 12 with the second... And we didn't have sex while we were pregnant either. It was just to painful and I was far from interested...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Only if you want to heal completely and avoid infection

Answer by admckenzie at 10:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• i waited the full 6 wks after my first but i also had 4 layers of stitches, my second was wayyyyy easier and i waited like a week and a half, if it hurts stop and make sure you use condoms where as you can get pregnant again right away (unless u want your kids that close lol i know some people do) good luck and enjoy :)
    mommie2twogirls

Answer by mommie2twogirls at 1:02 PM on Apr. 3, 2010