What do you think?

My friend delivers the newspaper in a historical part of the city. Almost two years ago, he was blamed for breaking a lead window- a part of the door frame on a house, but a) it was a Monday paper (very thin), b) the broken part of the window is a good 5 feet off the porch at which the paper lands when he c) tosses the paper onto the porch via "sidearm." The owners have taken him to Conciliation Court, where a referee was present rather than a true judge, and he lost. He has since filed for Civil Court, to appear before an actual judge.
NOTE: They placed blame on 9/1/08, start of the Republican Nat'l Convention - not far from this neighborhood.

What do you think? Will the judge side in the plaintiff's favor although they didn't see him (not) do it or will he take my friend's evidence into account?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Hopefully they will take that into account. My understanding is they have to prove that your friend did it. Also, that it was 2 yrs ago and they are just now addressing it seems odd to me. Unfortunately, the decision of the mediator could weigh against your friend.

Good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:01 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Tell your friend not to represent himself, take a lawyer.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• He can't afford a lawyer or else he'd gladly take one in.
    Anonymous