why did this bother me?

Today was the first time leaving my daughter with a babysitter, the woman who watched her is so kind and she has a son just a month older, she was perfectly safe, I had my phone on me, I packed her everything she would need, but I was still so worried, I knew nothing would happen but I almost cried because I missed her, I wanted her to be with me, my husband and I went out to lunch and a movie for his birthday and all I could think about was holding my daughter, and worried I would miss some milestone etc . It was only a couple of hours but it felt like eternity, am I too clingy as a Mom or is it normal to be like this when she is only 4 months old?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 4:15 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it's normal lol.
    I'm on cash assistance. so I have to be away from my son to volunteer and it hurts me still and he's 6 months old..
    but I keep my camera with me.. my parents watch my son and they videotape anything exciting that I missed
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 4:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Totally normal, and means you are a GREAT mother.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It's normal, and it's a good thing! The problem is if you allow these feelings to completely overwhelm you and stop you from ever leaving your baby or child with someone, ever taking the time to focus on your marriage, etc. ( I once knew a couple that had not had sex in 2 yrs - since their dd was born - because, as she put it "what if the baby woke up and needed me?" - THAT was WAAAYY over the top!)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Oh, lol - I should add, when our kids were little and we would leave them with a sitter (we didn't do it very often, but we did do it sometimes) - we would leave the curtains and blinds open in the house on purpose. Then, when we were going from dinner to the movie, we would drive by the house and look in the windows (we never got out of the car or anything like that though) and sort of look in.. :-)

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:08 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• That's normal. I remember the first time I left my oldest. He was 2 months old and my husband and I left him with my parents so we could see a movie and get dinner. By the time we were eating dinner we just wanted to get back home. We walked in the door and my parents were like "what are you guys doing back already?" LOL. I was breastfeeding too, which makes it more difficult. You can only be away from a 2 month old breastfed baby for so long before your boobs feel like they are going to explode.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:30 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It is normal to feel this way. But you should go out alone with your DH once in a while. To keep your relationship good.

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would worry that it wouldn't bother you. Its a very normal feeling! Happy Birthday to your dh!!
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 8:28 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It's normal and it gets easier. I was like that with my son. Now he's 20 months old (today actually!) and if I can get someone to watch him I live it up! LOL!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:31 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• So normal. My daughter is also 4 months..my SO and I have not been out together yet. I've gone out a few times after she goes to sleep while he stays home & that took some getting used to. We're going out tonight after she's asleep (she won't take a bottle, so we have to wait) and my little sister is coming over, so we can go get a drink at the restaurant down the road from our apartment. It's less than a 2-minute walk, but I'm still really nervous. BUT we seriously need some alone time, so I'm going to try :)
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:35 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Well I hope its completely normal because I am the exact same way! I've left my son for a few hours (usually 3 at the most) only a handful of times since he's been born (he's 8 months old now), and I start missing him soooo much. I miss him when he goes to sleep for the night too. My sister's wedding is coming up at the end of April and I'm going to have to leave him for almost the whole day with a babysitter. Everyday I almost have a panic attack about it and I still am trying to find another way to be able to bring him with. UGHHH!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2010