what colors to make my Living room?

My husband and I will be moving to a new base later this year, when we do we are buying all new living room furniture, I want to something calming, modern and lively. I like clean colors, straight lines and nothing crazy. Right now our living room is tan, red and black I would like something different. I would like a white couch but considering our daughter will be just over a year then i dont see that as plausible, any suggestions?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 4:45 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We have older teens, so it was a bit easier for us, but we have beige furniture with a dark, royal blue and a brick red accents - throw pillows, an area rug, etc.

If you get something made with microfiber, it's actually pretty easy to clean.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Oh - something else you could consider - what color is your bedroom? Because if you have a secondary color there, you could use it as a primary color in your living room. That would provide a sort of calming, integrated flow to your house :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:11 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Get a white leather couch. Easy to clean.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• if i got a chance to re do my living room id go with a carolina blue couches with either grey or white accessories and curtains and rugs etc. .
    id love to have a more beachy,breezy, feeling in my living room- right now we currently have tan,choclate brown,and maroon in ours-
    : / i saw these couches at aafes i liked sooo much but they were super not comfy and were charing 100 bucks to deliver them right across the street-
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 7:38 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would consider getting sturdy clean lines for couch and chairs with a high quality, neutral color and then slip-cover in the fabric of your choice. The slip-covers can be made from any material that your choose and then can be taken off and washed as needed. Colorful pillows or throws can change the look of a room with little effort. Also, dont forget that you can change pictures on the walls to add or take away color in a room.
    Above all I would look to the comfort of the pieces in question and then the color. If its not comfortable to sit in then there is no use in having the particular item in the home for furniture.
    Hope this helps.
    dragonlady6001

Answer by dragonlady6001 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• We have a light tan, creamish colored couch. We had the stain protector put on it and we also have it professionally washed every 6 months with our carpets, it always comes clean and looks great! We have a 2 yr old, and it has been through a lot!
    Our accent colors are light shades of torquoise, green, and blues... The colors work great in the spring and summer...and when fall/winter roll around I just add a couple darker shades using pillows and throw blankets. Our walls are a really deep, dark beige and curtains are light green in the spring/summer and I switch them out to dark green in the fall/winter.
    I would definitely recommend getting sturdy, durable furniture cuz with young kids its inevitably going to need washing often! Have fun decorating!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2010

• I've had all colors in my homes over the years, but the one I've found the most livable for the longest is a nice golden buttery yellow walls and greens and browns. Earth tones---you don't tire quickly of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2010