Is this normal?

I watch a almost 3 year old and he puts his hands in his pants all day long he will come with his hands in his pants and keep it there when he does everything....so i have tried to make him stop but time his parents come get him his hand goes right back in there...I even but on a one piece outfit and he unzips it so he can put his hand in his pants...i have asked the mom if they say or do anything to him and she just laughs and says he gets it from his dad (Gross) I was just wondering if this is normal or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you're right, that is gross, i have a 3yr old and yeah kid get curious from time to time...but keeping his hands in his pants all day is weird. my son doesn't even think about his penis when his pants are on, they only time they explore down there is when they are naked and it's not even an every day thing you know...??? idk, if the parents dont care i guess there's not much you can do about it except make sure he washes his hands often when he's around you...LOL
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 8:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• it is normal for them to want to explore at that age, but that was when I insisted my son learn some manners and when it was appropriate to touch and when it wasn't. If he literally is keeping there all day then that is a little strange, but if he is just reaching down and touching a lot and it seems like all day then that is normal, but he does need to be taught when and where it is appropriate which sounds like it could be difficult to convince the mother to do. Another thing is whether he is circumcised or not. If not he may be starting to retract and thus the increased attention to that area.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It's totally normal and the kid having his hands down his pants isn't gross either, grow up! It's normal for them to wanna explore themselves and they shouldn't be made to feel shameful for doing so, that can do more harm than good. My cousin was (and at times still is) that way at that age. My SIL had to constantly have a onesie one him or something tucked around so he couldn't get his hands down there, LOL.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 2:48 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think it is completely normal. My son is 20 months old and he does the same thing he will touch his penis when he is in the tub or when he is getting his diaper changed. Kids are curious about their body parts. I don't think there is to much that you can do about it
    Anonymous

• Chelley, she didn't say it was gross that the boy did it, she said it was gross that the mom's response was 'he gets it from his dad' was gross, and I bet she got a lovely mental image to go along with that statement, and that is Grossman she didn't say he should be made to feel ashamed about it, but a three year old with a major obsession with his penis and is fondling himself 24/7 is a wee bit disturbing and he needs to be taught about what is proper for public, and what should be kept private.

OP, I would bring it up to the mother again. Explain to her that penises are not the cleanest things on the planet, and penis juice all over everything is unsanitary and narsty. If she still doesn't give a rat's, just let it go. She'll be pretty embarrassed when the kindergarten teacher calls and says, 'Ma'am, please explain to your son the importance of refraining from jiggling his privates around all day in class?'

charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 11:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2010