Anybody wait until after 2 to potty train?

My toddler is almost 2 and a half and we are just going to begin potty training soon.
Is this late? Does that mean it will be easier because she's older?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• no its not late! my son will be 4 in aug and he just now been potty trained for a month! all kids are diff and it may not work for u all the 1st time. it took awhile for us stoping and starting all over again! gud luck mamma
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 8:39 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Every child is different, so don't worry about if you are doing it at the "right" age, 'cause there is no "right" age. If a child isn't showing any signs of readiness, trying to force the issue can make them rebel and it can take even longer to train, so waiting until your child is ready is better, no matter how old they happen to be when they are. Just remember that when you do start, be consistent or you'll confuse your child and that could delay her training.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• every child is different, i made it a point to train my boys before they turned 3 but if they showed signs that they weren't ready, i would not have pushed it. they didn't seem ready until they were about 2 and a half, any time before that and they were just not interested.
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 8:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My daughter will be two in May and I've been trying but she just isn't ready yet. I have the potty and the potty seat for the toilet. She just plays with the potty and the seat for toilet but she doesn't like bc her feet don't touch the ground and she gets nervous. (I have a stool too). She says pee pee and she knows how to flush when she sees me go. But she isn't fully ready yet. I've been told not to rush it bc you can run into problems with them holding it in etc. I'm in the same boat as you! I can't see how some kids are potty trained by 18 months. I wonder how?! lol
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My oldest is almost 4 and just getting to the point where she actually wants to wear underwear. She has known what to do and been able to do it for over a year, but she never liked to do it. She still has some issues with pooping on the potty, but that is getting much better and she is still in a diaper for bedtime. All things that will come when she is ready.

My middle one is 2 1/2 and we are just starting with her. It's just been in the past couple of weeks that she has expressed any interest and shown any signs that she is ready. So, we are beginning the process with her.

I don't think there is a right time. I'm not into forcing my kid to do something they aren't ready for just because I don't want to change a diaper.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:16 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• It may be easier or it may be harder. It doesn't matter - you are where you are, and your kid will eventually go potty. We started early, and it was nice because we weren't in a stubborn age. Not that your kid would react that way, but I see some parents start to potty train right when the kids are going through the "NO!" phase. "Do you want to eat?" "No! I'm hungry!" You know. :) OR your child could be so ready she goes straight to underwear, even at night. Which would be awesome.

whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My boys all were almost 3 years old by the time they were out of diapers

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 9:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 3..I have been trying and trying..She does NOT care if she is wet at all...I might have my 1 year old potty trained at the same time she is lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:06 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Both of my boys were 2 years and a few months when we started potty training them and they were trained by age 3.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:20 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• We game my son his potty for his 2nd birthday. We tried a little immediately, but he wasn't responding too well and we were about to move, so we put it off. Now he's about 2 yrs 3 months and we're about to pick it up again since it's been about a month since we moved.

Good luck! : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:34 AM on Apr. 3, 2010