How do I get him to eat something else besides fruit?

Morning noon and night all I hear is "fruit? fruit? fruit?" for a can of fruit chunks or he wants apples, pears, peaches and what not. He refuses to eat his vegetables or meats unless they have fruit, maple syrup or honey involved with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• idk i have a picky eater too and the only fruit he will eat is apple sauce and once in a blue moon a bit of banana but that's about it.
    guam_mama

Answer by guam_mama at 8:53 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• keep offering... maybe cut back on the fruit a little bit? i've started the "if you take 2 bites of this, then you can have some of that." it's working... VERY SLOWLY.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 8:54 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I would make him have 1 or 2 bites of meat or veggies before he gets his fruits. I have a picky eater too and every meal is a battle- good luck!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• You can mix fruit into a lot of things. See if you can get him to like a little bit of molasses. It's actually pretty danged healthy. Then just work on things like say... pork chops with pears and onions (god that was tasty...), squash and apple bake, ham and pineapple fried rice.
    See what I mean? You can incorporate fruit and still mix it in with a lot of other foods. I hope that helps!
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 11:58 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I'd play with the fruit and just add the other good stuff to it...
    For example you might try...
    a tortilla shell, spread with peanutbutter and wrap around a banana... but son likes them cut up in little disks
    You can make fruit smoothies and add things like spinach and avocado or carrots and other good things to it and he'll still think it's fruit
    You could make things like cooked carrots and pineapple
    Some things like tomatoes kids love....
    or try cucumbers and melons mixed together
    Try making your own "syrup" and dips to get him to eat things like meat.... my son like his nuggets dipped in applesauce.
    Try this from the sneaky chef... Purple puree, try it as a "syrup"
    - 3 cups raw baby spinach leaves*
    - 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (no syrup or sugar added)
    - 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    - 1-2 tablespoons water
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:47 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• there;s nothing wrong with it as long as he's eating it WITH veggies and whatever else you give him....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:09 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Things could be much worse. My aunt feeds my nephew only chkn nuggets & fries bc that all hell eat. :)
    I think just keep trying- I dont think he fruit is going to hurt him. Just try & find something to get the protein into his diet!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• See if he'll eat some baked chicken marinated in orange juice (YUM!!!) Maybe even have him help you pour the OJ out...he may go for it
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Dip fruit into honey or molasses sweetened yogurt.
    Does he like spaghetti sauce? You can sneak all sorts of pureed vegetables into that. You can even do it with alfredo sauce - cook and puree zuchini, cauliflower, and other light colored vegies for that one.
    Make veggies fun. Steam veggies until they are just barely tender and brightly colored, then give him veggies and hummus to dip it into.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2010

• Trust me its a phase! My oldest did this samething when he was 1-2 years old (he'll be 4 in August). He would eat fruits all day, and wanted nothing to do with meat. Only difference from your kiddo is my son loved veggies, especially green beans. He still loves his fruits, but I can get him to eat meat now. So just give it time, I'm sure he'll come around and eat meat :)
    Mom_of_2_boyz87

Answer by Mom_of_2_boyz87 at 3:43 AM on Apr. 4, 2010