What cold meds are ok to give a 22 mo old?

I called the doc yesterday, my daughter has really bad sinus conjestion and a cough. Everyone says it's allergies and we got her some children's zyrtec per the doc's advice, and she's only had ONE dose that she didn't even get all of it down. Daddy is convinced it's a cold and is wanting to tackle it before it turns into a sinus infection. The weird thing is, a couple of days ago we had 24 hours where she had a fever of 101 but she had no symptoms yet of conjestion or cough. She's also teething.
Do I get cold meds for her or do I try the Zyrtec a couple more days to see how it works and risk a sinus infection if it is, in fact, a cold?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even for grown ups, there's no medicine to "tackle" a cold... cold medicines help alleviate the symptoms, but they don't do anything to the cold virus. Saline drops in the nose and a humidifier are the only things that help even grown-ups clear up a cold more quickly. Sinus infections are not a guaranteed result of an *untreated* cold -- they're secondary infections that come out of colds *sometimes.* Most cold viruses clear themselves up on their own. Water in all its forms is the best weapon against a cold. Flush it through. And cold medicines aren't safe for kids under 6 AT ALL.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:58 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I am not aware of any cold meds recommended for kids this young. A couple of years ago, they came out with "no cold/cough medicine for kids under age 6". So, the best you can probably do if it is a cold is feed her soups, plenty of liquids and Tylenol for discomfort. You can also try "ocean" or some other brand of saline nose drops and a humidifier for the congestion. I'd also keep using the Zyrtec. Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I agree with kjrn. I've heard the same thing about cold meds. Plus, they really don't help at all. All they do is maybe provide a little bit of relief, but the cold is still going to be there and your child will just be over medicated. I'd run a cool-mist humidifier, run a super hot shower and let the bathroom get all steamy and sit with her in there for a few minutes. Push liquids, like juice and soups, and don't give her any crazy foods that might upset her tummy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• sometimes there's not way to "tackle" a cold...most of the times its a virus and meds won't help...the only thing I would suggest IF it's ok with your doc is a little childrens benadryl to make it easier for her to breathe and sleep. we give it an hour before nap or sleep....again, you need to check with your doc b/c those meds aren't only based on weight they're based on age...a lot of the babies systems aren't developed before a certain age and that's why they put the guidelines there. just do a humidifier and warm menthol baths. motrin if fever or to make comfy. that's about all youcan do.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• by the way,....the cold meds are for over 4 years, not 6....some people are very conservative....if it is a TRUE bacterial infection, your doctor will ok certain things or prescribe an antibiotic. Like I said, IF it's a VIRUS, it has to run it's course.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:07 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Humidifer and snuggles.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:13 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Thank you all. I am getting out the humidifier (we just moved so I had to look for it!) I just gave her a warm bath and now she's sleeping... let's see for how long. The doc prescribed some C-phen cough syrup for her... they say it's better than the Benadryl I originally called about so we'll see how that goes tonight. The first dose is tonight at 7:30, since I already gave her some Zyrtec today. Lots of snuggles on the way too... I guess that's all I can do. You guys rock. Thanks again!!
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 3, 2010