My daughter is talking to people, should i be worried?

my daughter is 3 years old and she has been talking to people that arent there. I know when she is home it is normal she is an only child right now so she does use her imagination. But now she drove down to florida with my mom and after they were stuck in a car accident from that point on she had been saying that Emma is at the beach waiting for her, we done know emma. But she is able to say emma has hair like her and she is 5 yrs old. She even pouts that she wants to see Emma, we dont know an Emma and she doesnt either. Should i be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Apr. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't worry about it. Ask her more details about Emma, it might be interesting.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:03 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have a friend whose child is doing this. She started around age 3 1/2, and she's almost 5. I forget what the imaginary friend's name is, but Abby talks about her all of the time. I wouldn't worry about it. Abby's mom asks her what her friend thinks about this or that, and they have real conversations about this imaginary person. It cracks me up.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it either. Maybe she just has a little imaginary friend. When my mom was little she had an imaginary friend named Kara. She would set place settings for her at the table and everything. She was the only girl out of 3 brothers so its understandable...since your daughter is an only child now, it would make sense why she might have one too. Well one day my grandma asked my mom where Kara lived. My mom just picked a house and said it was Kara's. So then my grandma told her to go knock on the door haha! Well needless to say, that was the end of Kara.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Its normal. My dd when she was about 3 1/2, developed an imaginary friend, a monster named "Hula Hoop". He would come over and play, then leave EVERYDAY!!! She had this friend for about a year. He was very real to her. That's all it is... she heard the name "Emma" from somewhere and liked it. She is at the age where she probably wants a BFF, but doesn't have one, so she made herself one. IF it concerns you - talk to the doctor. I agree with a PP. Ask her about "Emma" - you may get some entertainment from it.

Good luck!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:33 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• yes, i agree it is very normal to have imaginary friends. Like others said keep "emma" involved. but i do have a question i know many don't believe in this, im just curios. Did you happen to ever have a miscarriage before your daughter was born, some say that is the baby you lost
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I have never been pregnant before. She has played and used names of people she knows. I have a psych history in my family so that id why I wondered
    gabysmom07

Answer by gabysmom07 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• I think it's a good thing, TBH, because it means she's using her imagination and a lot of kids don't. They've got TV, what do they need imagination for? *sarcasm*
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 11:48 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• My 5 year old has an imaginary sister named Lizzy that live in CA, America!!! Lizzy's imaginary BFF is named sexy - LOL. She travels on a plane to visit them quite often!! She played with them alot from 3-5, but now that she is almost 6 the don't show up in her play much anymore. I won't be worried unless she becomes totally obsessed with her or it's causing her some kind of distress!! Sounds normal to me ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:55 AM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Imagination is a wonderful thing. My son talks to Charlie in his closet. I think it's cute because he will stop talking as soon as he notices that I can see him. I love that he has an imaginary friend.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:05 PM on Apr. 3, 2010

• Did she go to the beach and meet an Emma? I wouldn't worry either way.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2010